Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: outside Neps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

outside nepenthes

Hi.I have the good fortune to live on the east coast of Australia just below the tropics so i have been growing nepenthes outside for the last 20 years.I have a good mix of highland,hybrids and lowland species.Just wonderng is there anywhere in the US where you can grow nepenthes outside all year?

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior Nitecrawler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in California near the bay area, and I don't think I would be able to grow neps outside during winter. We have weeks where temperatures don't exceed 65 degrees F, and nights that are near freezing (mid 30's).

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitecrawler View Post
    I live in California near the bay area, and I don't think I would be able to grow neps outside during winter. We have weeks where temperatures don't exceed 65 degrees F, and nights that are near freezing (mid 30's).
    Do not be so quick to judge. I have grown Neps outdoors all winter in the past. Granted, they were VERY unhappy about the experience, but they did survive and the following summer produced beautiful pitchers. I suspect that they will tolerate quite chilly temps for short periods, but expect that the plants will look like they are on the verge of death for a while.

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess on the south part of Florida you will be able to have them on outdoors with no problem all the year...

Here on Panama City you can go outdoors maybe 7 months of the year, from march to september, after september the temperature start going down (some nights we reach freezing temperature) and the wind and rain dont help at all...

N. Albomarginata, N. Ampullaria
    N. Bellii, N. Bicalcarata, N. Rafflesiana
    N. Sanguinea (Orange Pitcher), Cephalotus Follicularis

http://www.knology.net/~fus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12