What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

outside Neps

hey guys, seeing im still doing well with my first nep. (nepenthes ventrata) i dont want to screw it up now. Anywho i just put it outside under a tree and hung it from one of the branches. It seems to be doing fine but i noticed some black leaves near the bottom and was wondering if that was a result of bringing it out or something unrelated at all and am i doing the right thing, should it even be outside? im in zone 5/6 MA.

If the blackened leaves are older leaves then there's nothing to worry about. The leaves die off over time and are replaced with new leaves. It should do well outside. Just don't forget to water it. Mine don't like me when I do that. I hang my N. ventricosa outside in my apple tree and they do great. Just bring them in if the temps start dropping into the 40°F range.

You'll also notice that the vine is turning a dark brown at the base too. Just comes with aging. I like to clip off the dead leaves cause they are ugly. ;)

Moved to Tropical Pitcher plant section...

I dont know what your temps are but here in ventura I grow my highland neps and heliamphoras outside and the temps never go below 30 degrees farenheight and never go above 90. And my ventrata vine is about 6 feet long and has flowered before so it must like it.

Shawn

well, its very humid right now; thats what i thought, i was just makeing sure the black leaves werent anything from the environment. its seems to be happy enough so far.

I moved my established Neps from the bathroom window to under the porch. They reacted to the move a bit, even though they have been otherwise healthy and not in much direct sunlight. Even so, I have full confidence that while the conditions changed a little bit and they reacted, they will be just fine by August. So I would speculate that your will recover as well.

I do the same a couple of weeks ago... My plants start gething a little bit yellow because of the insuficient light, and the outdoors is not a really bad this time of the year here (arround 90 degrees with a moisture of of 70 to 90%)...

so now they are spending full time outside beside a big tree on the yard... they dont really look get impacted for the change, even they look happy, at this point the most younger leaves are looking good, nice green color, no signals of problems with moisture, the only thing left is the torture wait to see how loong will take for them to develop pitchers.

They will be outside at less until september, then they go back inside because of the cold... at that time I will have a bigger area to keep them with much more light (artificial-natural mix)

outside nepenthes

Hi.I have the good fortune to live on the east coast of Australia just below the tropics so i have been growing nepenthes outside for the last 20 years.I have a good mix of highland,hybrids and lowland species.Just wonderng is there anywhere in the US where you can grow nepenthes outside all year?

I live in California near the bay area, and I don't think I would be able to grow neps outside during winter. We have weeks where temperatures don't exceed 65 degrees F, and nights that are near freezing (mid 30's).

I live in California near the bay area, and I don't think I would be able to grow neps outside during winter. We have weeks where temperatures don't exceed 65 degrees F, and nights that are near freezing (mid 30's).

Do not be so quick to judge. I have grown Neps outdoors all winter in the past. Granted, they were VERY unhappy about the experience, but they did survive and the following summer produced beautiful pitchers. I suspect that they will tolerate quite chilly temps for short periods, but expect that the plants will look like they are on the verge of death for a while.

Steve

I guess on the south part of Florida you will be able to have them on outdoors with no problem all the year...

Here on Panama City you can go outdoors maybe 7 months of the year, from march to september, after september the temperature start going down (some nights we reach freezing temperature) and the wind and rain dont help at all...

Back