What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something I have noticed

• Thread starter pon14
  • Start date

pon14

BANNED
Why doesn't barily any one have a N. Telengelish (or however you spell it)

Because the producers of Spanglish bought them all a few years ago :( That damn Adam Sandler has it out for us. He won't share ANY of the N. Telengelish!

First of all, its talangensis. Probably because 1) it's extinct in the wild, and 2) it's difficult for a lot of people to grow.
Second of all, please utilize a dictionary/search engine.

Ok, I am going to try to breed my talangensis with my maxim x ventrocica

And so JLAP or anybody. Your saying buying a talangensis for $11 was a good deal then?

And so JLAP or anybody. Your saying buying a talangensis for $11 was a good deal then?

Does it matter if it was a good deal or not? If you feel good about how much you paid then it doesn't really matter. Like phission said, it can be difficult for some people to grow; so, if you have the right conditions and $11 is in your price range then it could be considered a good deal. It would also depend on the size of the plant.

I also imagine that wherever you bought it has the correct spelling on their website and if they do not then $11 was probably not a good deal since it is probably not a reputable source since they can't even spell species names correctly.

Ok, I am going to try to breed my talangensis with my maxim x ventrocica

You mean maxima and ventricosa? Do these plants have flowers now? Which of the species is male and which is female?

xvart.

For one thing, yes they have the right spelling, I just can't really remember and Yes and I am still hopeing they are boy and girl, don't know yet, should know soon, or atleast on the Hybrid

Again, in the nicest way possible, please utilize a dictionary and proper punctuation. I know this is the internet and no one is perfect, so some mistakes are forgiveable, but your posts make my eyes bleed.

For one thing, yes they have the right spelling, I just can't really remember and Yes and I am still hopeing they are boy and girl, don't know yet, should know soon, or atleast on the Hybrid

How will you know soon? Did they tell you that they were about to send up a flower stalk? More than likely they will both be male since males are more prolific in cultivation.

xvart.

Again, in the nicest way possible, please utilize a dictionary and proper punctuation. I know this is the internet and no one is perfect, so some mistakes are forgiveable, but your posts make my eyes bleed.

y u gawtta b lik dat yo?

Yes, try to spell species names right but not everyone has the same literate skills, so, I think it's kind of rude to repeatedly say it.

Yeah... Nepenthes don't flower excessively so how can you know soon unless you got a flower stalk coming up? And yes it will probably be male and male, they are more common.

I know. And I think that the hybrid should because its at/around flowering age

if its vining...then it might be another year or so until it flowers :) its gotta be a certain age, perfect conditions, certain length of vine and so on. some plant in cultivation have a vine near 8ft long and still have no flowers.

Alex

Yes, try to spell species names right but not everyone has the same literate skills, so, I think it's kind of rude to repeatedly say it.

Not if the original has no impact, is ignored, or ceases to changes the behavior. And there is a difference between a couple letters out of place and a total butcher of the name. Especially in a forum setting where we all are trying to provide accurate and coherent information for everyone. If some other new to CP's came along and saw N. Telengelish and N. ventrocica they might get confused and not be able to know that those were actually N. talangensis and N. ventricosa; even if they had read the most basic literature on the plants. Especially since it takes a whole minute of time to look up the correct spelling of species names. Occasionally I've seen edit notes at the bottom of someone else post saying "edited for spelling correction of the scientific name" or something like that; I assume they do this to get good solid information out there and a mod shouldn't have to do that.

xvart.

"telengelish" could never happen unless they start letting people name species in Yiddish :-))

sometimes it is hard to spell latin or scientific names correct. Especially if you have trouble spelling normal words, which some people do. There is no reason to bicker. Pon, try to post correct spelling of names, as some new to CP's may get confused. But that should be all that has to be said.

Pon, my ventricosa vined for over a year before sending up a flower spike, so it could be a while.

No, it does need to be said. For everyone that thinks that I or some others are being too hard on pon, look at some of his/her posts on pitcherplants. Not only is there a blatant disregard for spelling, grammar, and punctuation, but when offered advice pon will even get argumentative/childish. Pon refuses to heed the advice of people that are trying to help, and doesn't even make an effort to use the search feature on the forum, or even wikipedia before posting things. I don't want to come down on anyone, but there is a level of what is acceptable and what is completely ridiculous. I don't want to "negatively affect" anyone's forum experience via this, but pon is starting to negatively affect mine. A lot.

Reference:
http://pitcherplants.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=trade&action=display&thread=1184249712
http://pitcherplants.proboards34.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=1183172456&page=1
quote from another topic: "Yes I do but for humidity what happends if I umiditize it with a hoze with of course city water?"

In another thread, he/she did spell talangensis right...but butchered "actually":
"oh and it is spelled Nepenthes talangensis accualy"
Also in another thread, it was spelled "talengelis"

Here's another series of posts...3 in a row:
Re: A question about this plant
« Reply #3 on Jun 28, 2007, 8:23pm »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well ****** was getting some July 5th , Large, 6" hanging pot, $25, Good buy? Anywhere cheaper?

« Reply #4 on Jun 28, 2007, 9:21pm »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
good buy or not?

« Reply #5 on Jun 29, 2007, 7:31am »
Ello Anyone

Let us not forget 3 posts in schloaty's seed giveaway thread in less than 24 hours.
Or, the fact that when Clint would not give his Salvia cutting to pon, he/she had the tenacity to reply with "be that way".

I didn't want to give it to him because I was afraid it would make his English skills worse hehe. Just kidding. The truth is that he saw the words "free cutting" and wanted it, without knowing what Salvia Divinorum is or what it does. This kid is maybe 12 or 13 years old and he has no business with it.

When someone is LAZY it really degrades from the forum experience. I can totally understand a few "newbie posts" but one after another after another is ridiculous. Especially when they A: don't take the time to look up the proper spelling (which is NOT hard and does NOT take a long time at all) or B: don't care enough about the content of their posts to use proper grammar.

Pon, members have talked to you, mods (at least at another forum) have talked to you, and now it's your turn. It's time to grow up a little. At the very least, using proper English skills here will improve your English grades in school. Take some time, articulate your thoughts, do research FIRST, and then use a spell checker before you make a post.

Especially since Firefox (which is better than IE in my opinion) has the red squiggly lines underneath misspelled words. Everyone makes mistakes in typing, but one way to demonstrate you are a somewhat competent and knowledgeable person (at least someone someone who is serious about the topic they are trying to get information about) is to not write in code. People who at least give the slightest effort at communicating have a lot more credibility, even if they are new to the hobby.

xvart.

ok, so, I see now. Phission, Xvart, I apologize, and agree with you.

Extinct in the wild? I would think endangered at the worst. Certainly more common that N. tenuis.

Cheers,

Joe

First of all, its talangensis. Probably because 1) it's extinct in the wild, and 2) it's difficult for a lot of people to grow.

Last edited:
Back