What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

juliethegr8t

Instant Addict
I'm still fairly new to CPs, but as some of you know, desperately addicted. :) I am trying out the easier forms of many CPs and having success with most of them. However, I've found that my favorites by far are the Nepenthes. And lucky me, they're also they type of plant that is doing the best for me! I've only got 3 but they're all beautifully blushed on the leaves with nice colorful and numerous pitchers. I just adore them, researching different types never ceases to interest me.

So in other words, I want more! I don't want to try anything too difficult at this point, but I do feel ready for "intermediate" plants, as well as any other beginner types. I have a ventricosa and sanguinea right now (I do my research!) as well as an unidentified type from Lowe's (pics coming soon for those who are good at IDs). What are some other types that you folks can recommend for me? I'm open to all suggestions, however rare or common! I've got to get a want list started. :)

And if anyone happens to have some of those plants ... extras, or no longer wanted, please let me know! I would be so absolutely thrilled to provide a new home for them. Unfortunately at this point I don't have anything to trade because obviously I just started. Also would love to hear if anyone has "easy" plants of the other CPs. Must... feed... addiction.:-))

If you can get your hands on one, try Effulgent Koto. Not even a nuclear holocaust coudl stop that plant. Thorelii x truncata/red dragon is also easy. All forms of alata are easy...etc

N. ventrata is a real easy one. So is N. Judith Finn. Can't help ya with extra Neps, as this is the smallest genus in my collection. Now if you waanted butterworts or bladderworts or sundews...

Also would love to hear if anyone has "easy" plants of the other CPs. Must... feed... addiction.:-))

N. ventrata is a real easy one. So is N. Judith Finn. Can't help ya with extra Neps, as this is the smallest genus in my collection. Now if you waanted butterworts or bladderworts or sundews...

:-O :-O Don't count me out on those!

I've been having a lot of success with N x 'Black Dragon', which is growing on my windowsill and has just formed a 4 1/2 inch pitcher, an inch longer than its last one. When I got it, it didn't skip a beat to adjust to its new conditions. I'm not sure how common this plant is (it would make me feel good if it is still rare) - I think it's a brand new clone, but it seems to be a very easy plant. Here's a picture of an adult plant (not mine).

Please review the rules, the listing of other CP vendors on this forum is prohibited. Thank you.

Photo removed for copyright reasons. -xvart.

Last edited by a moderator:
change it to a link. you're violating copyright laws.
Alex

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far! Keep em comin! I really like alata and the Black Dragon is *gorgeous*. I'd do almost anything to get my hands on one of those! I'm still new at this, krueger, but if it makes you feel any better, I've only seen it for sale at one place. :)

Now I've got to go search the couch cushions for change, excuse me...

Hi Juliet:

I think you should go for hybrids like N. red leopard (ventricosa X maxima) or
thorelli X maxima (N X Rokko)

Cheers,

Gus

I would wait until you posted the picture to say this but if you are going to go out and actively search for these plants be aware that the Nepenthes you purchased from Lowes is most likely N. "Judith Finn" (one of my friends bought a Nepenthes from Lowes and we couldn't figure out what it was it turned out to be "Judith Finn") so you might already have another one on your list! haha

-J.P.

Well I noticed that so and so is having a sale on Nepenthes sanguineas for like $6 pr. (Not including shipping0 and thats an easy one so that could do.

Don't recommend another CP vendor or post its website address, especially for a plant also sold by our sponsor. I think N. sanguinea is one.

WEll, excuse me for trying to help someone

and that attitude was not acceptable. did you even read the rules?
3. No sales or advertisements; trades/give-aways only are allowed. Some sales ads MAY be allowed under special circumstances; please contact site administrator, Adnedarn (Andrew), to ask permission to post personal/commercial site links or ads. Since we do not allow the positive advertising or discussing of "other" CP vendors, bad reviews also are not allowed. There is no restriction on trades or sales conducted privately via Private Messages (PMs). We do not monitor PMs. Advertising would include talking about or giving URLS to other CP sellers. Please don't offer/ask for any plants that are sold here at www.flytrapshop.com . Example: "I'm looking for a Green Dragon VFT" is not allowed (if it is something currently in stock)

Alex

If you can't follow the rules (or bother to read them) and get mad when someone corrects you, then you should consider if you're grown-up enough to participate in a forum.

I would look into n. x 'Marbled Dragon', N. x 'Sabre', N. x'Miranda', N. x 'Gentle' as VERY easy hybrids.

Looking for a teeny bigger challenge, would be the species rafflesiana, ampularia or gracilis (lowlanders, cheap and easy) and alata (someone already mentioned), copelandii, khasiana or maxima (highlanders), depending on what temps you can provide.

Also, for me campanulata is very easy - the only problem is that it's also very expensive.

If you can find it at all :(

yeah...who else remembers when campanulata was $30 for mature plants? I hate the market sometimes...

Back