Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The ultimate seed-growing thread

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost every journal article I've read use an autoclave as the protocol to sterilize soil. 121°C from 15-60min at anywhere from ~1 to 15 atmospheres. Using a microwave is not usually recommended as samples heat unevenly and the steam may not penetrate all areas of the soil. Superheated steaming in an autoclave does not seem to significantly affect the micro-nutrients in the soil.

However master CP propagator flytraplady5 cautions that microwave treatment of peat moss causes it to break down more rapidly which will release the nutrients in the peat moss. This is probably not a problem if you transplant the seedlings before this happens.

Some "home" methods to sterilize soil (including microwave treatment):
    http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...il/sterile.htm
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it was a bad batch, but last time I boiled lfs....longer ago than this forum has been around, fungus broke out rampantly over the medium. I boiled it for maybe five minutes, which was longer than usual. It was Mosser Lee Wisconsin milled sphagnum(back then you could not find NZ or Chilean). I thought I had broken it down too much and ruined what anti-fungal properties it had. Maybe spores settled on it after it had cooled down.

Joe

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Griffin View Post
    It was Mosser Lee Wisconsin milled sphagnum(back then you could not find NZ or Chilean). I thought I had broken it down too much and ruined what anti-fungal properties it had. Maybe spores settled on it after it had cooled down.

Joe
    Five minutes of boiling would still allow dormant bacterial endospores to survive (which can withstand periods of gamma, UV radiation, desiccation exposure, etc); and fungal spores, which can also endure high temperatures (upwards of three hours at 140˚ C / 285˚ F to eliminate some varieties) . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 09-12-2013 at 02:07 PM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read all the seed growing guides I could find in this forum but still have one question: if the seeds catch mold, is there anything that can be done? I planted Nepenthes seeds a few weeks ago and now some of the seeds have clearly mold on them. The soil seems fine (I sterilized it in the microwave oven). The containers are inside my lowland terrarium which has quite high humidity (70 %+). The containers theiselves are not in bags.
    Looking for N. Campanulata hybrids. Also would like to grow some nepenthes from seed. Growlist/pic thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Pete-s-plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am also curious to know the answer, although my case is a little different to pmatil's.

I sowed mine in high walled takeaway containers (2" high?) with the lids loosely on, one batch got mold on the seeds but not the soil. Switched over to humidity domes and the mold seems to have gone away but I suspect the damage has already been done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmatil View Post
    I have read all the seed growing guides I could find in this forum but still have one question: if the seeds catch mold, is there anything that can be done?
    I will take a shot at this one. A mist of H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) and pure water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmatil View Post
    I have read all the seed growing guides I could find in this forum but still have one question: if the seeds catch mold, is there anything that can be done? I planted Nepenthes seeds a few weeks ago and now some of the seeds have clearly mold on them. The soil seems fine (I sterilized it in the microwave oven). The containers are inside my lowland terrarium which has quite high humidity (70 %+). The containers theiselves are not in bags.
    Misting the seeds with pressurized distilled water also works to beat back fungus on many seeds

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
    I will take a shot at this one. A mist of H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) and pure water.
    Dave, any idea about the strength of the peroxide solution? And is rinsing required afterwards?
    Looking for N. Campanulata hybrids. Also would like to grow some nepenthes from seed. Growlist/pic thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Pete-s-plants

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast