Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The ultimate seed-growing thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know some people soak non-cp seeds in 3% H2O2 before planting without ill-effect. I would err on the side of caution and use 3%, but dilute it even more with pure water that will drop the % even lower. I know I spoke to someone in the NECPS about this before specifically with nepenthes seeds. I will do it as an experiment on a few seeds of the next batch of nepenthes seeds I try to germinate. Yes, you could let it sit for a bit to kill the mold, then water again to rinse it. I will also plug using beneficial Tricoderma as a preventative measure.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that I look at the seeds I got... Are these even pollinated? What do you think? I got them from amorphagod.

Looking for N. Campanulata hybrids. Also would like to grow some nepenthes from seed. Growlist/pic thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Pete-s-plants

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look fine. It doesnt even look like theyve been in there a month yet

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmatil View Post
    Now that I look at the seeds I got... Are these even pollinated? What do you think? I got them from amorphagod.
    At a glance there don't appear to be any embryos in those seeds, but it's hard to tell for certain. Sometimes all you get is one or two embryos out of 2000 seeds!

H2O2 has been used to suppress fungi in seed-sowing media since the 1990s and is well documented. For most applications, it is appropriate to dilute one part drug store grade H2O2 with nine parts water and apply liberally to the soil every few days until the fungus is suppressed, then once a week or so after that.

Physan also works - just don't get it on live Sphagnum!

Another alternative with be a light sprinting with a fungicide whose active ingredient is propiconazole (Brand name: Banner Maxx, for example, apply as a spray, as directed on the label. It is NOT phytotoxic to Nepenthes. This is often sold formulated to control disease on roses - just make sure you locate a product that does NOT also contain insecticide or fertilizer)
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 10-30-2015 at 06:41 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Whimgrinder. I think I'll try the H2O2.
    Looking for N. Campanulata hybrids. Also would like to grow some nepenthes from seed. Growlist/pic thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Pete-s-plants

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has now been about 3 months since sowing and I see something growing from one of the pots. Not 100% sure yet if it's nepenthes or just moss or fern growing from the LFS. The smaller one is so small my camera wouldn't focus on it (you can kind of see the seed from which it's growing).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second one looks like a nep seed to me, and I think the first is as well.

Good work!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely nep sprouts, congrats!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast