Likes Likes:  1
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Interesting seed germination instructions

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Science in motion! Mr. Wizard, rest his soul, would be proud!

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh Cindy! I've just noticed it's bical seed you're using. It's got the lowest viability of any Nepenthes seed I've ever come across. In the wild it falls and germinates if it's in a damp place. It grows in peat swamf forest so the seeds don't have to hang around and wait for rain or anything like that. We had to collect it on 3 separate occasions before we had viable seed for TC. Hope you got it very fresh!

Rob
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Rob for highlighting that here. I now have a good reason should the experiment fail. PHew!

Seriously, how long would you estimate that the seeds remain viable?
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't referring to him
    Explicitly maybe not, but implicitly... that is open to debate

I think you missed the point.
    No, I got the point. AFAYC practical knowledge means jack but a fresh pretty piece of paper in a frame means you know more than people who have been doing the practical side of things for longer than you have been alive.

Yeah, no. That is a perfectly logical argument.
    Only when misapplied as you have tried to do.

Perhaps you should review logic and analogous statements.
    I exhausted the logic courses offered at my college so I think I am pretty brushed up on them thanks.

And how can you be an expert in some type of operation if you've never even been to medical school? That's kind of an oxymoron.
    Misapplication. Point of fact, growing plants is worlds away from carving parts out of a living body. And that is why your logic is terminally flawed. You are trying to compare two things as if they were equal when in fact they are not. So to make the argument logical you either have to equalize them (as I did in my reply) or you have to make a different argument. It does not take years of schooling and a fancy degree to grow plants. Anyone can grow plants be they a doctor or a housewife or a cop or a grade school kid or even someone as mentally challenged as a lawyer. And a person who has been growing one type of plant for 20+ years is going to have a lot more practical knowledge than someone who has only grown for 16 months. And because they have that greater practical knowledge they are significantly nore likely to know things based on years and years of their observations than some wet behind the ears armchair expert.

There also isn't a place where I said that it absolutely will not work either. I didn't "blast" thegriffin, rockstarcobain, or trent...in fact I "blasted" no one. There are some statements in Dave's guide that are flat out wrong, like the fact it takes months to reach the rosette stage, or that light will cause yellowing. If you want to count that as "blasting" someone go ahead, but that is not correct information.
    Sure point out the people who have not had the "audacity" to stand up to you. You have blasted people and if you really want me to name names we will start with myself and Rob.

Did you not read?
    Nope, can not read a lick. Made it 30 years and got a PhD without being able to read. An amazing trick really.

If you're insinuating that you would've challenged anyone but Rob, that is hilarious.
    I am not "insinuating" anything. I said flat out I would have challenged Rob as well if he had not posted the pics at the same time he made the post. And the flip side, since I know you are going to try and argue it later anyways, I would not have argued with anyone else if they made the same comment and posted the pics at the same time.

Are you president of Rob Cantley fan club as well?
    Oh boy!! There is a fan club?!? And here I thought there was only your "I hate Rob and slam him every chance I get" club...

I respect Rob for what he is. In all the years I have been growing I have talked with Rob perhaps 10 times. If that makes me "president" of his fan club then I gladly accept the title.

Neps can grow in pretty much anything; wood, broken glass, foam, some metal, anything really.
    Really? Learn something new every day. Since you say so it must be true and I guess every book to date has been wrong.

I see sarcasm is lost on you.
    No more so than it is on you.

When you plant exactly 30 seeds of the same exact cross in two different pots and place them in the same exact humidity and temperature, but one pot is right next to lights, and the other is in a shady corner, and you get germination in the pot that was right next to the lights, but none in the pot that was in shade....well that's pretty conclusive.
    Conclusive my left foot. Your value for n is 1 for crying out loud!! You can not even begin to try to claim that that is significant let alone the statistical significance you would need to even try arguing that it is conclusive. You know, for someone who harps on and on and on about "knowledge of the subject" you sure seem to be happy to throw basic principles of actual scientific research out the window when it suits you.

Show me the results of 50 pots under each condition with daily observations and then I will be willing to listen.

I do however, find it funny that this is coming from someone as arrogant as yourself.
    Someone as arrogant as myself?!? Now if that is not a case of the pot calling the kettle black then I don't know what is. Would you like to call me snide, pompus and egotistical as well?

After all, I've never responded to someone disagreeing with me with "I bet I know more than you"
    And where exactly did I say that in this thread??

Again, as I said, I haven't "blasted" anyone.
    Sure you haven't.

Point taken. I guess I should've worded my objections different.
    And it only took 4 pages...

Well there's always next time
    Or the time after that... Or the time after that.

You know, I have noted here and elsewhere that you spend an awful lot of time pointing out to people how the internet is really bad about relaying the emotion behind the words and that they should all make more of a point of not taking things so poorly. You might want to give some thought to the idea that maybe the problem is not with everyone else... Maybe consider being a little bit better about what/how you post instead of making it everyone else's job.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe consider being a little bit better about what/how you post instead of making it everyone else's job.
    Yeah or people could harden up and not take the INTERNET as a serious place.

The one comment I said you said...different forum, different thread.

While I would continue to debate you about this if I had time, you have the arguing tactics of a 5 year old. Maybe if you had actually addressed anything important instead of nitpicking even insignificant nuance and every single word, then maybe it would be worth it. The only thing your tactics are good for is serving to tire someone out.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    Yeah or people could harden up and not take the INTERNET as a serious place.
    Or I guess you can make it everyone else's job...

Call me names, throw your insults at me, I do not particularly care.

As for the accusation that I never addressed anything important... I answered everything you challenged me with.

You challenged my knowledge of logic as well as my logic argument and I replied.

You challenged my accusation of blasting people and I replied.

You challenged my association with Rob and my view of him and others in general and I replied

You challenged the basic tenent of scientific method and I challenged you on that.

If my answering your questions and countering your challenges is nitpicking then why did ask them and challenge me in the first place? ANd if it tires you out to answer them... I do not see how that is my problem.

I guess I just don't see why it is alright for you to challenge and question me but it is not alright for me to do the same to you.
    Last edited by Pyro; 08-13-2007 at 08:30 AM.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it alright for you or anyone else to do whatever they want...because it's the INTERNET.

Challenging and asking questions is cool, go for it. But theres a difference between doing that and nitpicking every single word for the sake of trying to look like you're doing a great job challenging things, when in reality it's a great waste of time.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You skillfully dodged my question.

I asked why is it alright for you to challenge and question me but it is not alright for me to do the same to you.

I am not trying to look like I am doing a great job challenging. I am replying to the things you put at me. Answering questions that are asked is not nitpicking. Stepping up to challenges is not nitpicking.

So again I ask, why it is okay for you (as in you specifically) to question me and challenge me but it is not okay for me to 1) answer your questions 2) refute your challenges and 3) question and challenge you back?

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast