What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Assorted Neps and their potential

Cindy

Staff member
N. distillatoria 'yellow'. Nothing great compared to the pink or purple form but its basals should potentially fill the pot.
disy.jpg

N. bicalcarata-red x campanulata (EP). See the vestigial fangs? Newer pitchers have potential to become redder.
bxc1.jpg

bxc-1.jpg

N. bicalcarata x ampullaria (BE). I hope the peristome will darken even more over time.
bxa.jpg

bxa1.jpg

N. ampullaria "Bau Giant" (MT). The first pic show pitchers that came with the plant. The latest pitcher in green is ballooning to be as large.
ampbr_pitchers1.jpg

ampbr_pitchers.jpg

N. 'Lebih' (MT). The pitchers that came with the plant has no pink but the first pitcher formed here definitely has.
lebih.jpg

N. albomarginata 'Kuching Spotted' (MT). This vine is now at least 12ft long and I will lead it across my balcony to see if it will flower for me.
alboks_vine.jpg

alboks_upper.jpg

N. albomarginata 'purple black' (EP). Just show the difference between the Kuching Spotted and this form. The KS does not have such dark flecking. Its peristome is red instead of black.
albomarginata_pb.jpg

N. albomarginata 'rubra' (EP). A fantastic form to have and since the black form has produced a basal, perhaps this form will do so too.
albo_rubra1.jpg

albo_rubra.jpg

I love the other forms of albo (not green).
12ft and still no flower is very disappointing though.

No fertilisers just :water: . And barely any media too 'cos the bulk of it broke down over the years. Since the plant is so long, I find it a hassle to repot it. I just want to see how long it will grow before flowering. The purple/black is at the other end of the balcony. Perhaps both will flower when the vines meet. :-))

Hmm...maybe if you repotted and fertilized it would induce flowering :D
Try a high phospate fert, like Mag-Amp

nice N. albomarginata! i love it!
12ft !! that's a big one.
How are you to settle them my friend?

Phissionkorps, which one of these is more appropriate?

a) N.P.K : 5 - 7 - 5
or
b) N.P.K. : 5 - 15 - 5

I'd say the latter. Michael (Rainforest) at the other forum uses Mag-Amp, which is 7-40-15. He gets a nylon stocking and puts the Mag-Amp pellets in it, ties it off, and put it on top of the pot. He waters the bag every time he waters the pot, for a period of one month. If no flower appears after a month, he says to take the bag off and wait an entire month, then repeat the process for the duration of another month. He said it works the first or second time, but unfortunately I haven't been able to try it as mag-amp is very hard to find in America (check orchid nurseries...which are also hard to find in America).

Thanks! Mag-Amp is also not available for me so I'll make do with other brands. Foliar feed is most feasible for me because I don't flush my pots with water as he does. Can't afford to kill my 12ft albo with an overdose. :nono:

Duckking, from the posts you know what I am going to do with the albomarginata... :water:

Great pictures! Honestly, I've never been a fan of albo's; but after looking at some of your different forms I may be changing my tune a little bit. How many pitchers do you have on that 12ft vine?

xvart.

Yeah I think it has to be pelletized. Water soluble would be too much for the plants to handle I think. I have no clue why its hard to find. I actually called the manufacturer and left a message, but no one has called me back

xvart, there ain't that many because about half of the vine is brown. On the other end, there are no pitchers yet for another 1 foot. I counted 14 pitchers (some fried 'cos I forgot to water the plant for a few days) on the good leaves.

The basal itself has got 5 good pitchers too. The plant pitchers on every leaf with one of two exceptions along the way.

I've noticed that the newer portion of albos vines are always without pitchers. Pitchers will eventually be produced but it is kinda delayed.

Come to think of it, are all upper vines like that? ???

Here's a pic of it last December at 6ft long. Only pitchers in the middle portion of the vine. By March this year, it was hitting 9ft.
albo_ks_side.jpg

To turn anyone into potential albomarginata fans, here are more pics. :boogie:

Pic of lower pitcher.
albo_ks.jpg

Vine of the purple/black
albopb_n1.jpg

Pitchers of the rubra
albor_n.jpg

Wow! Beautiful albos Cindy! I actually have a young N. albomarginata in a terrarium right now. It's been one of my favorite Neps since I got it last year.

I'm moving into an apartment with a patio in the next few months and I have some questions regarding your balcony. What direction does it face and what kind of light does it get? I'm planning on keeping several of my bigger Neps out on my patio and would love any details you could give me on yours!

Duckking, from the posts you know what I am going to do with the albomarginata... :water:

Oh! I saw. thank you again.
and I in!!! means I was already a fan.:love:

LLeopardGGecko, my balcony faces North-West. But I am located in Singapore so the intensity of the sun would vary for us. Anyway, it receives bright indirect light up to 4pm daily. After that it is direct sunlight up to 7pm. For me, the temperatures are average in the 80s year round. The hottest being early 90s and coolest mid 70s. These conditions are typical lowland with very little day-night temperature difference throughout the year. How is your humidity like?

Besides these few, I have got another 4 young albo plants. They are at the same balcony but are not in direct sunlight.

From what I know, N. albomarginata is an intermediate Nep. So I am actually very surprised how it does so well with the rest of my lowlands like N. ampullaria.

Thanks for the info Cindy.

I'm actually not too sure about humidity. San Diego is where I'm moving and it's pretty mild there year-round. I'd imagine it's more humid than where I currently live (Rancho Cucamonga, CA) since it's right off the coast.

I'm just really looking forward to being able to grow some Neps outside! I doubt I'll be able to grow lowland Neps outside like you but perhaps I'll have some good luck with a few highlanders.

Back