What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes nectar

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
Haha,

I'm sure people have tasted this stuff... I just did a few minutes ago. My biggest N. ventricosa 'red' pitcher (like 1.5 inches lol) had almost dripping with nectar around the peristome and there have been no insects around so well...

That stuff is sweet!

Just thought I'd share :p.

~NeciFiX

yeah, i do it!

and the f;avor varries species to species...my ventricosa is the sweetest, my copelandii is almost sour! and my big ol' burkeii tastes like cocnut syrup (if you have ever had it)...strange...although it could just be the narcotics supposedly in them...???

Now I'm thinking about Ventricosa Pancakes.

Ventricosa should be a skittles flavor.
I haven't tried it yet, but mabye I can try my Nepenthes "Gentle" some time.
Sabre looks good too though.:p
It is actually a very interesting idea, mabye I should start collecting necter from Nepenthes, and serve it to my freinds to see what they think, or freeze it and have a popsicle...

Each day gather a drop from each and have it drop into the ice cube trays and put a tooth pick in and freeze it!

lol...nectar-pops....

My mom yesterday when I told her I had some just froze and dropped her jaw and was like, "IT'S POISONOUS!"

When do you know anything about CP's! No it's not, may make insects drunk but not me!

My mom yesterday when I told her I had some just froze and dropped her jaw and was like, "IT'S POISONOUS!"

When do you know anything about CP's! No it's not, may make insects drunk but not me!

You never know, you may start to get drunk if you drink it in larger quantities. Maybe Nepenthes nector will become the next big thing after alcoholic beverages.

Actually, I dare not drink the Gentle necter because now it smells like dead bugs.
Mabye Sabre will be a little yummier.

I don't believe there are any narcotic alkaloids in Nepenthes nectar. The only CP with anything boarder line narcotic in it is S. flava, which nectar contains Coniine, and that's more of a neurotoxin (if you REALLY want to split hairs!)

If someone would like to correct me on this with the name of a narcotic (which, unless it's an opiate/opioid isn't a REAL narcotic using the definition) alkaloid found in Nepenthes nectar, please do! I'd find it immensely interesting.

S. flava liqueur is probably a bad idea, as exotically (I almost said erotically. Don't you just love Freudian slips?) appetizing as it sounds.

Are you saying that alkaloids are the only substances that can cause intoxication of some sort? If that's the case...its organic chemistry time for you.

If someone would like to correct me on this with the name of a narcotic (which, unless it's an opiate/opioid isn't a REAL narcotic using the definition)
Nope. A 'narcotic' is any substance, regardless of if it is synthetic or naturally occuring, as long as it produces the same types of effects as opium derivatives. Methadone is a synthetic molecule that produces the same types of effects as opium derivaties, but as it is synthetic, is not an opiate. Really the molecule just needs a phenyl ring directly attached to an sp3 hybridized carbon that is connected by a bridge to a nitrogen atom, which must be 2 carbons away from said sp3 carbon.

Coniine, and that's more of a neurotoxin (if you REALLY want to split hairs!)
Split hairs about what? Coniine is a neurotoxin, plain and simple. If someone is calling it an intoxicant/narcotic, that's wrong. Though it could possibly have some sort of the same effects in incredibly small doses, that does not classify it as anything but a neurotoxin based on other factors.

S. flava liqueur is probably a bad idea
In large quantities, yes. To give it a taste, I highly highly doubt it. Coniine is toxic at about 0.18 grams. I think you would have trouble finding a flava with over 0.18g of coniine present at any time, as it makes up a compartively small amount of the total nectar. In fact you would need to ingest at probably at least 20g of nectar to even potentially be in danger, which would require you to lick many a lid, as I can't imagine even a mature flava has more than 2g of nectar present at any given time, and that's pushing it.

Not at all! My best friends aren't even alkaloids ;) We aren't talking lab-made chems (oh how the list could go on!), we are talking natural and most (at least the "intoxicating" ones. I use quotes as at least one I know of could be argued as producing acute anticholinergic syndrome as the desired effect) natural drugs are alkaloids (off the top of my head, at least one is a diterpenoid. For 17 I think I'm doing good:) )

If you'll re-read my post, I believe I said "unless it's an opiate/opioid isn't a REAL narcotic" Methadone is an opioid, last time I checked. I'm also not going by the government's standard of "narcotic".

Wiki states Coniine addictive in animals (Not that that means anything, I just skimmed. I think I saw something about goats or something.) I don't know what small doses of Coniine do, and I don't plan on finding out.

My best friends aren't even alkaloids
Mine is Wild Turkey 101 :D.
Ethanol and I go hand in hand.

natural drugs are alkaloids (off the top of my head, at least one is a diterpenoid. For 17 I think I'm doing good )
True, and I think so too.

I think there doesn't need to be a distinction made between a narcotic and "real" narcotic. Methadone isn't an opiate because it is a completely synthetic molecules that was synthesized to have the properties of an opium derivative, without itself being derived from opium.

Wow, did NeciFiX and my posts spur an almost serious conversation? Cool.

You're absolutely correct. I was including opioids (like methadone and fentanyl) as "real" narcotics even though they aren't opiates like natural and semi synthetic drugs (like... hydrocodone and oxycodone.) I was using the word real not to refer to natural or synthetic, but actual narcotics (where as the government would happily define THC and LSD as narcotics, and even "narcotics anonymous" would define meth as a "narcotic" when it's most definitely not!)

Now I need some coffee. I just woke up :(

my ventricosa is sour as hell. my judith finn is probably the mildest flavor, being somewhat akin to rock candy. truncata is a lot like syrup, and my black dragon is by far the sweetest.

i wish my ******* bongso would throw out a pitcher =(

I'm actually interested in making just one ice cube spot of collected frozen nectar haha from various Nepenthes.

lol! My ventricosa has enough to freeze, but my mom flipps out on my when I just taste it...let alone freeze it and eat it....

my N. sanguinea has 2 types of nectar. the clear "normal" kind and the blood kind. the normal tastes sweet while the blood tastes sour!

Alex

Back