What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher lid not fully open

juliethegr8t

Instant Addict
My N. sanguinea is doing fabulously but has recently developed a strange problem. The newest pitcher is fully developed, but its lid seems to have stopped before it finished. The lid has seperated from the peristome around about half of the pitcher but is fully fused the rest of the way. I've given it more than several days to see if it would "finish" but it hasn't. ??? The pitcher seems perfectly normal otherwise, is fully colored, etc. Is this just a fluke? I haven't been in the biz long enough to know. :blush: Thanks!

Maybe just wait a while longer. I know sometimes the lid gets "caught" on the peristome and needs a little extra time; or more humidity? Has there been a drop in humidity in your growing area?

xvart.

don't worry about it.
odd pitchers can happen from time to time.
as xvart says, sometimes they get stuck. If this happens, I give the lid a little help and gently pop it open.
peace,
Zero

Yep, probably a fluke. Your plant will fix itself in no time. :banana2:

I've had N. sanguinea pitchers open strange. A few have lids that are too small and don't quite cover the pitcher opening, and I still have a few pitchers on one growing point that seemed to inflate before becoming fully mature, leaving a small, green-orange, lidless, thinned growth with almost no opening.

I've opened many pitchers, and not just on that species. I think it's mostly a low humidity thing.

Glad it isn't a big deal! Thanks all. Though with this one, I can't open it. I've helped a few along before, but this one is totally fused and the lid is not fully formed on that side. I can't tug on it at all.

Sometimes a pitcher gets injured, during development and that causes a deformed pitcher. Now if your plant puts them out consistently,.....

Back