What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Various variegated Nepenthes

Following on from another thread, here are some variegated highland species. All are from seed-grown material. Some seem stable and are being propagated from cuttings which is painfully slow. Unfortunately, none of these are in TC. We've seen variegation appearing out of TC clones occasinally too (see N. rajah below) but it's never remained stable (so far).

Here'a a scrappy weak plant. It's N. macfarlanei if I recall correctly, although there are no pitchers.
variegated4.jpg

Here's another non-viable plant. It's from N. ramispina seed but may perhaps be one of the natural hybrids common in the area. It's sturdy but has no pitchers and you can see the leaves are not getting any bigger.
variegated1.jpg

This one, also from N. ramispina seed, is stronger. If it remains stable it looks as though one side wants to be white and the other green. It wold be interesting to see pitchers on this!
variegated8.jpg

This is N. sibuyansis. So far it's remained stable and is being slowly propagated from cuttings. It's not yet produced any pitchers, which is typical of the species if it's not left alone and constantly messed about and cut up like this one has been.
variegated2.jpg

I really like this one, N. ramispina with 2 tone leaves!
variegated3.jpg

But this is my favourite - and yours too Cindy :). N. ramispina. I wish it were in TC. We have only 3 plants so far from cuttings...
variegated6.jpg

...and another view.
variegated5.jpg

Apologies for having posted this one before elsewhere, but I like this view best:
ramispina_variegated.jpg

This was shown on another thread but I'll throw it in here too. N. rajah from TC. The only 3 out of a huge number to have become variegated after planting out. I shall be surprised if this remains stable and since none of the others are coming out variegated yet (we have only 4 clones in TC) I believe it's a fluke mutation and the mother stock in TC is not variegated. These TC clones are over 20 years old I believe.
variegated7.jpg

Time to get back to work here now!

Cheers,

Rob

Last edited:
That is simply fantastic, Rob! I really hope these are commonplace one day!

Do the plants require more light than the average plant since they have less chlorophyll? I wonder if you grew them in very high light, what a red and white (or maybe light pink!) plant would look like.

Very nice.

Those are ALL very cool. If I could pick one for myself, it'd take a while to choose! They're all really neat looking!
-Andrew

i love the 2 toned N. ramispina and the last variegated ramispinsa. BEAUTIFUL!
Alex

That is really neat to see a bunch of different variegated species. The solid white/cream N. ramispinia is quite the sight. Thanks for sharing, Rob; and keep us posted on the stability of the plants.

xvart.

Wow. Those Ramispina leaves are really amazing! :0o:

i love that N.ragah. cool~~~:-O

I absolutely LOVE the cream colored leaves on the Nep in the second pic! Woah!

Beautiful!

~NeciFiX

Back