What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Okay i have been into carnivorous plants for about 2-3 yrs but have only grown Drosera, Pings, VFT, sarracenia.

Now i wanna try something new and want to try out Neps!

I do have peat moss, sphagnum, and perlite but not sure what else i mite need if any. Also have a 20 gal terrarium.

I plan on buying a fogger......good investment?

LASTLY! What Kinda Neps should i get if I'm new to neps but not to carnivorous plants?

I love my fogger, I feel it's a great investment. I put mine on a time though so it cycles between 30 mins on and 30 mins off. It will extend the life of the fogger, and keep the humidity reasonable.

Sounds like you got some years of experience, so I would say your first question to answer is can you provide the highland environment, or the lowland conditions better? If you can do lowland, the owner here has some very reasonably priced neps.

Nate.

Well i live in Southern California.....so more than likely imma have to start w/ lowlands just cuz its pretty warm here all yr round

warm days and cool nights :D

many people grow some amazing collections of neps in So. Cal. .
Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
southern california is more of an intermediate climate (like me!), but some parts are highland...where abouts are you?

basically, the higher you go, the more "highlandish" it gets, and the same is true the closer you get tot he beach...

well i live inland - riverside.......hot! i do plan on growing them in a terrarium but the reason im asking is cuz of my home temperatures

What are your home temperatures?

Nepenthes Sanguinea can be grown in most conditions. I had one outside last year that took weather ranging from 95F - 48F w/ low humidity but it died in the sudden pre-winter freeze :-( . I now grow an Orange form indoors (windowsill) with other easy and tolerant of low humidity Neps.

Highlanders: mid 70's to high 80's in the day (no higher then 90), 50-65 in the night (no lower than 45 preflebly)

What plants are you considering? Write em down and then ask if their easy.

Do you know how hot your temps are in degrees? Because the easiness of a species is dependant entirely on your climate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, you're going to be able to grow a lot in Irvine. Forget the tank. Just grow them in a sunny window or under lights. You'll be able to grow tons of neps just that easily. A fogger won't make much difference outside of a tank or chamber, so don't bother with that, either. You might want to pot them up in a six-inch pot so it won't dry out too fast.

Go for intermediates and hybrids. It's the rare hybrid that won't grow in your house. Start with an easy one and go from there!

Capslock

I use my fogger in a different way. I have no humidistat...but....I have a timer that can allow 1 min intervals and 14 settings (I have a burnt hole in my pocket for 50$ :( ). With that...I try to give the rajah atleast 3 min of misting every hour during the afternoon. At night there are only 3 intervals or so... all of 3 min each. I think this will allow me to use the mister for quite a while...but also ensure that the rajah gets its reasonable humidity. I am getting pitchers on all my neps so I am a happy camper. I just have to wait and see if the rajah makes one. ;)

Alright imma try different methods!

Imma first try it w/o a fogger

then if i see my plants arent doin well ill buy a fogger and hope that they get better! YAY!!

Back