Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nepenthes Seed Growing Guides

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm.... I guess I won't doing that will the lights then. I've heard that some people have had success with it...maybe it's just chance.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BioZest View Post
    Hmm.... I guess I won't doing that will the lights then. I've heard that some people have had success with it...maybe it's just chance.
    Some seeds don't need light to sprout -- some may even like it dark. Most vegetable seeds are planted underground. However, Nepenthes seeds are just scatted on top of the substrate in cultivation and in the wild. Some species produce seeds that need a large temperature swing or certain environmental cues before they sprout.

In my opinion, it would be harder to sprout them in the dark. After they sprout, you'd have to light acclimate them to your growing lights or greenhouse. Also, if you cover them in foil to block light, that also prevents the container they're in from heating up. Nepenthes seeds should be maintained at a temperature you would grow the adults at when trying to sprout them, or a bit warmer even.

Plus, mold and other bacteria like to grow in cool, low-light, humid, low-airflow areas. That's exactly where you're growing your seeds.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have germinated 100's of Nepenthes seedlings and have never deprived them of light for any length of time. I find a photopause to be completely unnecessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Some seeds don't need light to sprout -- some may even like it dark. Most vegetable seeds are planted underground. However, Nepenthes seeds are just scatted on top of the substrate in cultivation and in the wild. Some species produce seeds that need a large temperature swing or certain environmental cues before they sprout.

In my opinion, it would be harder to sprout them in the dark. After they sprout, you'd have to light acclimate them to your growing lights or greenhouse. Also, if you cover them in foil to block light, that also prevents the container they're in from heating up. Nepenthes seeds should be maintained at a temperature you would grow the adults at when trying to sprout them, or a bit warmer even.

Plus, mold and other bacteria like to grow in cool, low-light, humid, low-airflow areas. That's exactly where you're growing your seeds.

I was not planning to sprout the seeds in total darkness. If you read Jimscott's post above he recommends them spending ten days in darkness. Not the entire process of germination. I took the tin foil off last night.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BioZest View Post
    I was not planning to sprout the seeds in total darkness. If you read Jimscott's post above he recommends them spending ten days in darkness. Not the entire process of germination. I took the tin foil off last night.
    I don't think anyone misinterpreted your information, but I do think the concerns about fungi are valid; ten days of darkness in an enclosed space can start a very healthy colony of various fungi. While I don't think the "ten days in the dark" procedure is particularly counterproductive, I don't think it is really helping either - mostly a waste of time and effort, IMO. In nature, Nepenthes don't get a chance to germinate in darkness. They probably end up in a fairly shady spot, down on the forest floor in with all the mosses and leaf litter, but total darkness? I rather doubt that. It seems wisest to attempt to emulate conditions likely to be found in their native environment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ What Whim & Cthul said. I've germinated ALL of the 1000's of Nepenthes seeds I've germinated directly under lights, with 16 hour photo periods. I've germinated highlanders and lowlanders and everything in between the exact same way. If the seeds are viable they usually germinate in 3 - 4 weeks for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I question the merit of excluding all light at the start. Does Dave still advocate this method, do you know? I've never sown seed with days of darkness at the beginning, and Ive had no difficulty germinating Nepenthes seed. If anything I have been far TOO successful!
    I have used the "darkness method," particularly with highland species -- and am convinced that there were benefits to the technique. Of eight batches of seed (half of which were grown aseptically; the balance grown in a 2:1 compost of milled sphagnum to sand), I estimated that those kept in darkness for ten days, elicited at least a twenty percent higher rate of germination with both techniques than those immediately placed under lights. That may not mean much if one is dealing with hundreds of seeds; but if it is a scarce dozen or fewer of Nepenthes edwardsiana or N. rajah, it's well worth that extra effort . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12