Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Heat Tolerance of Neps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heat Tolerance of Neps

Hey Y'all,

I've got a Judith Finn, a ventricosa, and a sanguinea growing outside right now. It's supposed to hit at least a 100 today here in Arkansas. Are they going to be able to handle the high heat? My ventrata loves it... I just wasn't sure how these guys will react.

Thanks,
    Will

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100 is pushing it long term. However they should be able to handle one day of it - especially if you have them shaded during the really hot part of the day.

ventricosa and sanguinea are technically highlanders, though, so you want to avoid more than a day or two of those temps. They can take heat, like temps in the low to mid 90's, for a couple of days....and PROBABLY will be ok at 100, but I personally wouldn't push it.

Judith Finn, while it looks like a highlander based on it's parrents, I find grows better as a lowlander, so I wouldn't worry about that one.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I knew they were all highlanders, but they were pretty resilient as far as highlanders go I thought. They're shaded during the hottest parts of the day. Looks like I'm going to be moving them inside to the grow racks for a while!

Thanks for the input!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally have a N sanguinea and N ventrcosa growing in lowland conditions and are doing great. N. ventrata I also have will grow in hot conditions also. These 3 types are very resilient and adaptable if acclimated properly to the heat. Also with high heat if you can keep humidity above 85%, they will tolerate the heat better. 100F is very high though. My greenhouse hit 98F for awhile this week before misters cut on. Usually day tetemps run from 86F to 92F(max).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have had my sang outside all summer here in atlanta. It has been 100 plus for two weeks now. No problem.
    Updated Growlist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm in Little Rock and it is HOT here. The Sarracenia are loving it, and my Ventrata is too. I've got N. rafflesiana outside and they're quite content.

I moved the Sanguinea and Ventricosa inside this morning to see how they fare :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say that my ventricosa didn't take too well to hot dry atlanta summer (at least this summer is fairly hot and dry). I took cuttings of it thinking it was toast. All the cuttings are doing ok, but now I don't have much of a ventricosa anymore
    Updated Growlist!