What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. argentii

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Does anyone have any experience with N. argentii? I've heard it called a true highland, ultrahighland, and intermediate. So far, I've seen more people talk about it being true HL/intermediate than UH. I've also read one person in the Philippines says they love warm weather, yet won't pitcher in winter. Surely you guys can see my confusion? I've read easy, hard, small pot, disproportionately wide pot, slack potting.....

In the hottest parts of summer, nights are at 70 degrees, days in mid 70's usually with the late parts of the day at 78-80 degrees, never above 80. In winter my conditions are true HL conditions (I'm growing in the basement). Always high humidity and light. I'm sort of weary of trying this plant since it's so uncommon in collections and not everyone has much experience with it. If it does do well in intermediate conditions, I feel like it's worth a shot. If it dies, at least I didn't buy one a few years ago when they were $100 more expensive then they are now, right? lol

Thank you for your help,

Clint

Hi JLAP,

I grew it for a couple of years (before I killed if because I forgot to water :blush: ).

I would classify this as a forgiving highlander - i.e. so long as the night temps drop to around 57-60, you'll be fine. It can also take a couple of weeks of warmer nights provided you give it extra water.

I once read that it won't pitcher if the tendrils don't get to burry themselves in the media - I found that it will, in fact, pitcher with the tendrils dangling over the pot, but the pitchers were larger when in contact with the media - read 3/16" to 1/4". This sucker is small. I never had to remove it from it's 3" pot - though I probably would have soon if I hadn't killed it.

I am on my second N. argentii, but I only have limited experience over the past two years with this species. I tend to buy these plants when they are small during the summer which I would not recommend. I have my plant outside right now and the newest leaf is green, while the previous two leaves are prematurely brown/black.

My first plant quickly turned black and died during period of 90F weather and poor air circulation.

My conclusions are that cool temperatures and good air circulation are important.

I've got great air circulation, and putting it in front of a fan wouldn't be a problem if it needed it that strong.

Do you guys think it could take nights at 70 degrees on the dot in the summer, provided the other 3 seasons will give it the correct temps? Or do you think it'll be a goner?

I would acclimate the plant in cooler conditions in the Fall to give the plant the strength to survive the unsuitable temperatures in the Summer.

I agree with Dave S. Mine was already well acustomed to my conditions when the hot weather hit. I think I bought mine in the early fall or so.

Then it's time for me to start thinking about an air conditioner and weighing the pros and cons. Thanks for the info guys!

I would love to try this plant as well. It looks really cute. ;)

Back