What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mold on insects

Peanut

I like this
Is it ok for white mold to grow on insects that are in the pitcher.
The insects develop the mold after about 4 days of being in the fluids.
Mold isn't growing on the nep just on the insects.
Is the mold some sort of digesting mechanism?

it can be nothing or it can be a problem. if your plants are outside, dont worry about it too much. if the plants are inside, shake the pitchers a bit every day. if you are manually feeding them, you definately want to stop that. if the mold continues to grow, empty the pitcher or cut it off. few things are more disgusting then a pitcher stuffed to the peristome with mold, and it can be damaging to the plant

I to have noticed fungus growing on some dead insects floating in various species pitchers. It has never been a problem. It may be a form of pre- digestion, as it disappears when insect sinks. I have never lost or been forced to remove a pitcher because of it.

It takes a village to digest a fly. If you're healthy, you have all kinds of things living on what you're digesting too.

it takes a village to raise a child - its an old saying that means 'many things aid in a process'

Chances are, the bacteria in your pitchers isn't set properly - if you water inside the pitcher, it throws off the bacterial balance, which makes it work improperly. Or something else could be wrong - basically, your village is in disarray XD

Sorry, i don't know how to fix it.. just explaining.

really, dont worry, unless you end up with more mold then fluid. anything else just is part of the process. Neps are more resilient then a lot of the available reading material would have you believe!

Back