Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Nepenthes Bicalcarata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Great

Thanks a lot! But your anime Nepenthes Bicalcarata has a vain poping on his cheak, don't you think it should be on his temple?
    Last edited by Kappa; 08-26-2007 at 11:45 PM. Reason: wanted to add green smiley face

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LLeopardGGecko View Post
    Very nice! I have a young N. bical growing on an east-facing windowsill and it's one of my favorite Neps.

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the whole plant/whole tank? I'd love to see it all!
    You're growing N. bical as a windowsill plant? How are you managing to keep the humidity and temperatures high enough? I'm interested in hearing more about what your setup is like!

Will

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm growing a N. bical. redxorange seedling in a terrarium on a windowsill for now, but in 4 to 6 months will be to big. Will have to go to greenhouse. Your plant is awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wmgorum View Post
    You're growing N. bical as a windowsill plant? How are you managing to keep the humidity and temperatures high enough? I'm interested in hearing more about what your setup is like!

Will
    I'll have to record the conditions sometime, but the window gets direct morning sunlight for a few hours and the humidity is definitely low, probably in the 20s or 30s. I just stuck this little guy here a few months ago to see what it would do, and it's put out two huge leaves since then and a pitcher is inflating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Kappa,

I would recomend you don't get an AGA. The bical will outgrow even a 75 gallon in no time. Mine is almost 6' in diameter.

What you should do is invest ~$50 and build yourself a 6'x6'x6' grow chamber!

1x3's are cheap at Home depot
    scews are cheap
    shower curtains are cheap
    staples are cheap
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schloaty View Post
    Hey Kappa,

I would recomend you don't get an AGA. The bical will outgrow even a 75 gallon in no time. Mine is almost 6' in diameter.

What you should do is invest ~$50 and build yourself a 6'x6'x6' grow chamber!

1x3's are cheap at Home depot
    scews are cheap
    shower curtains are cheap
    staples are cheap

how are you lighting a 6' lowlander in NY? Any hopes of a pic of this set up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I was also told that N. Ampullaria has the same leaf span as a Bical, it will outgrow a terrarium fast after acclimation.

A grow chamber sounds like a good idea! Have you seen the PVC Green house? I want to make a cheaper version of that. LOL.

Schloaty do you have the plans to build the grow chamber?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I light the chamber with a series of those Fluorex fixtures (the big ones - the ones made to light 2000 sqft). I do have to re-arrange, though, as the bical has outgrown the "usefull" light radius. Have some thinking to do. I have an idea, but too many plants to implement it - or maybe I can if I re-arrange... Have to brainstorm.

As far as the grow chamber, it's really easy.

You need 12 6 foot 1x3's for the frame

place the first four on the floor in a square, and screw the ends together (I highly reccomend using a drill to bore the screw-holes first to prevent splitting).

Then, in each corner, stand up one of the 1x3's and screw it in so it's verticle.

Next, add the remaining 1x3's across the top, screwing them in, to complete the frame.

use a staple gun to attach the shower curtains (you will wind up needing five - four for this part) to the back, sides and top. Leave the front open for now.

You will need four more 6 foot 1x3's now, to make the door (and at least two door hinges - forgot to mention that in the other post).

First make the door. Cut one of the 1x3's into two foot sections (you should get three of them). Use two long (sides) and two short pieces (top & bottom) to frame out the door.

Attach to door using the hinges to one side of the front. "Close" the door, and line up the remaining 1x3 along side it, and screw it in to the top and bottom frame supports (this gives you something to close the door against).

Now, the finishing touches - attach the shower curtain (recommend a clear one for this part) to the front wall, cutting away the extra - keep this and use it to cover the door.

Voila - done. I did one more thing and added a latch to keep the door closed - but you don't have to do that part - I just have an inquisitive cat & two children, LOL.

Oh, I don't really have any good pics of it because the room I built it in is too small - I can't get back far enough from it to snap a decent pic.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12