What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Nepenthes Bicalcarata

Here is my bical. I like this one, it is nice and smooth, and no veins on the sides. This beauty has been growin in my 20g for a year, and yeah it is getting too big. Good thing Petco's dollar per gallon AGA sale is coming up soon. I think I will pick up a 40 breeder.

mybical.jpg

Very nice! I have a young N. bical growing on an east-facing windowsill and it's one of my favorite Neps.

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the whole plant/whole tank? I'd love to see it all!

whoa! petco has a dolar per gallon sale! when?!!?

sorry-back on topic.

Nice bical! Hopefully mine 'ull start to color up!

Dollar sale is nation wide and is actually stated on petco's website. It's on the 28th-the 2nd of this month.

Thanks everybody for your kind comments. I will post a FTS some where in this forum.

Nice Bical!

The Petco deal appears to be $1 OFF per gallon, not $1/gallon retail.

Promotion Terms & Conditions:
$5 off applies to minimum online purchase subtotal of $50. (Subtotal refers to amount of order before taxes and shipping.)
$10 off applies to minimum online purchase subtotal of $75. (Subtotal refers to amount of order before taxes and shipping.)
$15 off applies to minimum online purchase subtotal of $100. (Subtotal refers to amount of order before taxes and shipping.)
*EXCLUSIONS: Promotion Code does not apply to the following: aquatic life, purchases of out-of-stock items, donations, gift certificates and gift cards; merchandise purchases through Bottomless Bowl & More subscriptions; shipping or applicable taxes.
PETCO.com is required by law to charge applicable state tax on all orders shipped to states in which PETCO has a physical location.
Promotion Codes valid for one use per customer only.
Promotion Codes cannot be redistributed or used in combination with any other offer.
PETCO.com in their sole discretion may refuse to redeem any Promotion Code which they believe in good faith to be fraudulently or improperly obtained.
Offer valid at PETCO.com only.

Oh, yeah, well I hope it's still a good deal, and they don't raise the price so that it seems like a deal.

Thanks for the correction, and nice comment.

I will post a FTS when I add a few more more plants next week.

Actually the website does say $1 per gallon - instore only with whatever stock they have on hand. That other sale you mentioned was online only.

They are looking so cute! :-D
and the color is very beautiful. nice bicalcarata.

Great

Thanks a lot! But your anime Nepenthes Bicalcarata has a vain poping on his cheak, don't you think it should be on his temple?

Last edited:
Very nice! I have a young N. bical growing on an east-facing windowsill and it's one of my favorite Neps.

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the whole plant/whole tank? I'd love to see it all!

You're growing N. bical as a windowsill plant? How are you managing to keep the humidity and temperatures high enough? I'm interested in hearing more about what your setup is like!

Will

I'm growing a N. bical. redxorange seedling in a terrarium on a windowsill for now, but in 4 to 6 months will be to big. Will have to go to greenhouse. Your plant is awesome.

You're growing N. bical as a windowsill plant? How are you managing to keep the humidity and temperatures high enough? I'm interested in hearing more about what your setup is like!

Will

I'll have to record the conditions sometime, but the window gets direct morning sunlight for a few hours and the humidity is definitely low, probably in the 20s or 30s. I just stuck this little guy here a few months ago to see what it would do, and it's put out two huge leaves since then and a pitcher is inflating.

Hey Kappa,

I would recomend you don't get an AGA. The bical will outgrow even a 75 gallon in no time. Mine is almost 6' in diameter.

What you should do is invest ~$50 and build yourself a 6'x6'x6' grow chamber!

1x3's are cheap at Home depot
scews are cheap
shower curtains are cheap
staples are cheap

Hey Kappa,

I would recomend you don't get an AGA. The bical will outgrow even a 75 gallon in no time. Mine is almost 6' in diameter.

What you should do is invest ~$50 and build yourself a 6'x6'x6' grow chamber!

1x3's are cheap at Home depot
scews are cheap
shower curtains are cheap
staples are cheap

how are you lighting a 6' lowlander in NY? Any hopes of a pic of this set up?

Yeah, I was also told that N. Ampullaria has the same leaf span as a Bical, it will outgrow a terrarium fast after acclimation.

A grow chamber sounds like a good idea! Have you seen the PVC Green house? I want to make a cheaper version of that. LOL.

Schloaty do you have the plans to build the grow chamber?

I light the chamber with a series of those Fluorex fixtures (the big ones - the ones made to light 2000 sqft). I do have to re-arrange, though, as the bical has outgrown the "usefull" light radius. Have some thinking to do. I have an idea, but too many plants to implement it - or maybe I can if I re-arrange... Have to brainstorm.

As far as the grow chamber, it's really easy.

You need 12 6 foot 1x3's for the frame

place the first four on the floor in a square, and screw the ends together (I highly reccomend using a drill to bore the screw-holes first to prevent splitting).

Then, in each corner, stand up one of the 1x3's and screw it in so it's verticle.

Next, add the remaining 1x3's across the top, screwing them in, to complete the frame.

use a staple gun to attach the shower curtains (you will wind up needing five - four for this part) to the back, sides and top. Leave the front open for now.

You will need four more 6 foot 1x3's now, to make the door (and at least two door hinges - forgot to mention that in the other post).

First make the door. Cut one of the 1x3's into two foot sections (you should get three of them). Use two long (sides) and two short pieces (top & bottom) to frame out the door.

Attach to door using the hinges to one side of the front. "Close" the door, and line up the remaining 1x3 along side it, and screw it in to the top and bottom frame supports (this gives you something to close the door against).

Now, the finishing touches - attach the shower curtain (recommend a clear one for this part) to the front wall, cutting away the extra - keep this and use it to cover the door.

Voila - done. I did one more thing and added a latch to keep the door closed - but you don't have to do that part - I just have an inquisitive cat & two children, LOL.

Oh, I don't really have any good pics of it because the room I built it in is too small - I can't get back far enough from it to snap a decent pic. :(

Back