What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tap Water!!!??

MrFus

Do you like that...
I have read here a lot on the use of tap water... I have just a few plants on my starting collection... well the fact is Im thinking to put my plants on a small greenhouse.

The main problem here is the fact that we get really hot on summer (we reach a record of 100 degrees this year) so Im thinking use a cooling misting sistem http://www.orbitonline.com/products/Kits/04/04/10/114/ inside of the greenhouse to lower the temperature and increase the humidity level... the sistem will be conected to the faucet on the garden...

I dont think this will affect the plants for 2 basic reasons, the plants are located on a second shelf so they will not be exposed directly to the mist and second the plants still will be watered using destilled water.

what do you think?

Humidity condenses

While you may not be directly watering them with tap water, you will be indirectly watering them with humidity, which will likely condense inside your greenhouse (as it likely is sealed), the humidity can condense directly on the plants or anywhere on the greenhouse. How much effect this will have I'm not sure.

Djur is correct. But that should not harm your plants. I've found Nepenthes to be the most tolerant of tap water. They shouldn't have a problem being misted with it.

I change my mind at last momment and instead of the misters from Orbit I just install this fogger head from Dig irrigation:
mistfog2.gif

http://www.digcorp.com/agri/ag1014.htm

I have run a test with nothing inside of the greenhouse and from 101 degrees lower on 15 minutes the temperature to 87, and get the moisture level from 60 to 75, no condesation on walls, just the floor wet, it looks like this will be my best option to deal with the extreme heat on spring next year, and I will keep watering my plants as usualy with distilled water.

You can use the fogger all year long. This will help when the humidity drops in the winter.

So long as you make sure to water the plants through with distilled water it should be fine. Let the pots drain after you water though; minerals will build up if you leave them in trays all the time. Some tap water can leave a white dust of minerals on leaves when used with misters/foggers, but it's mostly harmless. You can clean it off by spraying the plants with distilled water and wiping them clean with a cloth.
~Joe

Back