What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

water filters, which kind you use?

MrFus

Do you like that...
I have read some on the water filters, and still not sure wich one is the best option to balance price vs quality of the water (on especific targeting to be used on our plants) ??? .

so the question here is:

• If you use a filter, which kind of filter is?
  • and if you dont use a filter, which kind of water you use?

I use reverse Osmosis water filters for all my plant water. Don't waste your time with buying a Brita or Pur water filter, this is only a chacoal filter to remove colors/tastes/smells. Those filters work great for drinking water but it doesn't change the actual molecular structure of water the way a reverse osmosis or "R/O" filter does. An R/O unit will basically make rainwater pure water for you which is neural in PH, with almost zero nurients/sodium (I think the water is 97-99% pure) It just doesn't get better than that! I got my Captive Purity brand setup from Marine Depot. It doesn't matter how much you pay or what brand of R/O unit you buy it will only purify the same percenatge so I bought the least expensive, (more money for plants!) I've had mine for at lest 5 years now and it does great.

Click on Reverse Osmosis in the menu at:

http://www.marinedepot.com

IIRC mine was $150 for the 75 gallon per day model which comes ready to use out of the box. You can make water for 1 year with the starter kit and then you'll need to buy replacement cartridges which adds up to about $100 each year after. But if you're making lots of water it beats buying/carrying reverse osmosis water home from the store in jugs.

I suggest getting a quick disconnect to put between your sink and the R/O unit to make it easy to pop the input hose on/off if you live in an apartment like me and have only one sink to hook it up to. And NO NAPPING while you've got the water filter running! I flooded the kitchen a few times before I learned my lesson! ;)

Those filters work great for drinking water but it doesn't change the actual molecular structure of water the way a reverse osmosis or "R/O" filter does.

R/O filters don't change the molecular structure of water...then it wouldn't be water anymore!

They apply pressure against the osmotic gradient to push the solvent (water) through a semi-permeable membrane.

Last edited:
They apply pressure against the osmotic gradient to push the solvent (water) through a semi-permeable membrane.

Oh yeah, that's what I meant! ;) :)

Back