Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A made a blunder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do believe it was a lack of humidity that caused the first one to stagnate. I had it in my 20 gallon (long) terrarium with no cover. The lighting fixture covered maybe 50 percent of the top, but air was allowed to move in and out quite freely. This other tank of mine, the 5 and 1/2 gallon, is obviously much smaller and the lighting fixtures cover most of the top, leaving only about an inch gap for air traffic. Upon studying humidity readings, it seems that this tank has about 10 percent more humidity than my older, bigger tank, and so far, my new Nepenthes are thriving.

I've also pondered the lighting situation. Maybe the N. talangensis didn't appreciate the higher light levels. Or maybe it was my watering technique that did it in. I'm much more careful and precise with watering these days and I don't let any of my Neps sit in water. For the longest time I was determined to prove that my Neps could survive on the tray system, and while some did, most of them failed to perform.

So in conclusion, it was probably a combination of reasons why my N. talangensis didn't do well. I can only hope that this one does much better!

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well...I have won the bid. So I guess 30$ more on plants. Sheesh! My parents will kill me if they find out...I'll never hear the end of it .

Well! alright then...I guess I got to now prepare for getting a nep soon. O boy! O boy! O boy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi vraev,

Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    I have googled it, got basically not too much helpful info apart from the obviously misleading info on http://home.arcor.de/j.danz/index.html (
    what do you mean by misleading?

N. talangensis dislikes higher temperatures and lower humidity during summer and refuses to pitcher under my conditions during summer. Day and night-temperatures rise considerably during summer (above 20 deg C during the night and above 30 deg C during the days) for about two months and in that time I killed one of my large plants. - Sadly I can't tell if it is enough to get the night time temperatures down to reasonable numbers.

Good luck with your new plant.

Joachim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol Danz...I was just joking. thats why I had that thing in the brakets.

Misleading because your site shows it as a fantastic and easy nep to grow

hmm.....crap! oooh boy! well.....darnit. My highland shelf definately goes to 85F during the day and nighttime can go down to 65F and a bit lower due to water bottle cooling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You never know till the plant is on your shelf. I'd set it up and don't touch it or move it for as long as possible. I'm growing one of these, and after three months it's just starting to pitcher for me. Good luck!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks mate. I should be getting it in a fortnight. kinda looking forward to see a new nepenthes that forms distinct and very different pitchers from the regular group.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capslock View Post
    You never know till the plant is on your shelf. I'd set it up and don't touch it or move it for as long as possible. I'm growing one of these, and after three months it's just starting to pitcher for me. Good luck!

Capslock
    I would love to see a picture of your plant if you have the time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my talangensis was quick to adjust....but for some reason it produced some crappy leaves and no pitchers. i got a total of 2 pitchers(only one is still on there though...) i got it back in May and its finally starting to produce normal leaves and....pitchers!! 77* and 43% in the day and 69* and 58% humidity at night. not bad.... humidity wise anyways
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast