What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A made a blunder

Not sure of the age of the plant. That's a six-inch pot, I believe. It's a decent-sized plant - I got it on ebay but don't remember the seller. I grow it in typical highland conditions - 55-80 degrees, and under fairly bright fluorescent light. My soil mix in this one is cedar mulch, pumice, charcoal, and a touch of peat. It drains very quickly, which I think it likes.

Capslock

Not sure of the age of the plant. That's a six-inch pot, I believe. It's a decent-sized plant - I got it on ebay but don't remember the seller. I grow it in typical highland conditions - 55-80 degrees, and under fairly bright fluorescent light. My soil mix in this one is cedar mulch, pumice, charcoal, and a touch of peat. It drains very quickly, which I think it likes.

Capslock

thanks to your sharing.
very helpful to me. thanks.:-D

I am going to try something new. I am going to graduate from the easy going LFS mix only to:

- 70% LFS
- BARK (I don't know what kind...getting some from a fellow CP'er who uses it in hamata ;))
- newzealand LFS
- LIVE red sphagnum (3 varities) [ONLY CONCERNED about any pests that may tag along...I might probably not take the risk and only use my "HOME GROWN LIVE newzealand sphagnum cristatum...the best sphagnum moss IMO" ;)

Hope the talang likes it. ;)

and yeah...I am expecting around a 5 inch plant (max size) and I am thinking about a 8 inch pot.

I'd use more bark and less lfs. A good nep mix should contain no more than 50% sphagnum moss in my opinion, or it becomes too dense!
Capslock

My preference is 1/1/1 orchid mix (bark, charcoal, and ceramic rocks)/LFS/perlite. I don't use this, though. I use pure LFS since I can't water all the time like some people.

To me, it's just stupid to use live LFS in a mix when you could use dead LFS and put the live as a topdressing. Hello, am I the only one that realizes it'll die when not exposed to light and thus become regular dead LFS? It should be a sin to bury live red LFS >: (

yeah...I want it to be consistent enough that I can water all my neps at once. However, I am getting charcoal as well. :) So I will be using charcoal, bark and LFS with top dressing of live sphagnum. SO far..I have found good results with bical, ramispina and rajah so I rather make a small change rather than a huuge one. ;)

excuse me. May I ask a question?
What is FLS? thanks.

lFS?? Long fiber sphagnum moss. Its basically the dried up sphagnum moss. this is a precursor to PEAT.

Basically if u get some live sphagnum....dont water it..it becomes dry right? now that is called LFS. let it be under pressure and let it decay under anaerobic conditions for a couple of hundred years and you get peat. ;)

lFS?? Long fiber sphagnum moss. Its basically the dried up sphagnum moss. this is a precursor to PEAT.

Basically if u get some live sphagnum....dont water it..it becomes dry right? now that is called LFS. let it be under pressure and let it decay under anaerobic conditions for a couple of hundred years and you get peat. ;)

hundred years! oh that's a long time. :0o:
looks like I must treasure my peat. Vraev thanks to your exposition.
real appreciate, my friend.:hail:

well.....the hundred years is a little rough figure. But yeah...peat does indeed take a while to form. :p

Short way it to put it in the blender lmao for a couple of minutes lmao. Try it! So fluffy!

well....isn't that MILLED sphagnum? ;)

... it would of been funny to watch one of those "Magic Bullet" infomercials throw that in ....

"oh look, and in under 5 seconds you can make Milled sphagnum!":-D

Back