What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A made a blunder

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
I made a blunder

Hi guys,

Umm!! I just unconciously without considering any circumstance might have submitted a best offer of 23$ + 7$ shipping for a nepenthes talangensis before any research on the plant.w

Now I have been itching for quite a while to get a new nep. And I don't know why I did this...but it was a sure sign of me becoming weaker and weaker and seeing that "ONLY 2 available" and that its "RARE". THe advertised price was 28$ so I am sure that the dude selling will agree.

Now this is a bad thing in a way considering that apparently this plant is a bit hard to grow from information from nepenthesaroundthehouse. I remember that glider and a few other peeps here are growing this plant. Can you guys give me more info? I have googled it, got basically not too much helpful info apart from the obviously misleading info on http://home.arcor.de/j.danz/index.html ( ;) ..thats becos Danz is probably an expert at neps and has wonderful plants which make it seem that all the neps are easy to grow;) ). [NOTE: just joking....Danz has a great resource available for us]

How did nepenthes newbies find this plant? any to do and any do nots??

thanks,

vraev

It's not rare.... IIRC it's extinct in the wild but it's reasonably available in cultivation.

If you can keep the N. rajah alive long-term, this shouldn't be a problem. But you haven't had your N. rajah for a while yet, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Well, nobody has been to that mount to confirm or deny that it's extinct. The mountain had an eruption but did not explode like Krakatoa. Remember it was thought that a Tsunami took out Viking and it did not.

Cheers,

Joe

well..I know that the rajah isn't really thriving..but its not on the brink either. Every single leaf it is making is bigger than the last one. It has finally started making leaves the size of the leaves that the plant came with. Its making around 2 leaves in a month. Pretty decent pace of growth.

BUT

The tendrils aren't extending. They are just 1 inch. :( I am guessing the rajah isn't really happy with the lighting I am giving it. OR maybe its still under the adjustment phase. A buddy of mine on OCPS says that his rajahs took atleast an year before they started making pitchers from the last year tendrils.

probly an adjustment phase. rajah is super slow to pitcher from what I've heard. Of course, mine started inward-spiraling the second I got it so I gave it to the local greenhouse. If they can grow a lowii in a stove house, I'll trust them with my rajah.
talangensis, from my experience, doesn't like low humidity AT ALL. My ventri x talangensis did well in a 10 gallon terrarium next to N. rafflesiana. So I figure, OK, It's a ventri hybrid, let's try it on a windowsill. BOOM! dried up leaves, growing tip turned brown.This shouldn't be a problem for you if rajah grows for you. You obviously put much more effort into your growspace than I did based on your rajah's growth.

great. Thanks guys. :)

I tried growing N. talangensis under 2 40-watt cool white tubes a while back and it basically just sat there and did nothing. It eventually made a small basal, but even the basal just froze after some time.

I have a new N. talangensis and it's been growing in a small terrarium under 30 watts of cool white light for a little less than a month now. It's definitely growing, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it likes my newer conditions.

I'll be sure to post if it decides to pitcher!

Do u know why the first one didn'tgrow?? this species surely seems very finicky. Is there something very important to keep in mind? As others say....surely this species shouldn't be harder than rajah is it??

I do believe it was a lack of humidity that caused the first one to stagnate. I had it in my 20 gallon (long) terrarium with no cover. The lighting fixture covered maybe 50 percent of the top, but air was allowed to move in and out quite freely. This other tank of mine, the 5 and 1/2 gallon, is obviously much smaller and the lighting fixtures cover most of the top, leaving only about an inch gap for air traffic. Upon studying humidity readings, it seems that this tank has about 10 percent more humidity than my older, bigger tank, and so far, my new Nepenthes are thriving.

I've also pondered the lighting situation. Maybe the N. talangensis didn't appreciate the higher light levels. Or maybe it was my watering technique that did it in. I'm much more careful and precise with watering these days and I don't let any of my Neps sit in water. For the longest time I was determined to prove that my Neps could survive on the tray system, and while some did, most of them failed to perform.

So in conclusion, it was probably a combination of reasons why my N. talangensis didn't do well. I can only hope that this one does much better!

well...I have won the bid. So I guess 30$ more on plants. Sheesh! My parents will kill me if they find out...I'll never hear the end of it :-(??????.

Well! alright then...I guess I got to now prepare for getting a nep soon. O boy! O boy! O boy!

Hi vraev,

I have googled it, got basically not too much helpful info apart from the obviously misleading info on http://home.arcor.de/j.danz/index.html ( ;)

what do you mean by misleading?

N. talangensis dislikes higher temperatures and lower humidity during summer and refuses to pitcher under my conditions during summer. Day and night-temperatures rise considerably during summer (above 20 deg C during the night and above 30 deg C during the days) for about two months and in that time I killed one of my large plants. - Sadly I can't tell if it is enough to get the night time temperatures down to reasonable numbers.

Good luck with your new plant.

Joachim

lol Danz...I was just joking. thats why I had that thing in the brakets. ;)

Misleading because your site shows it as a fantastic and easy nep to grow ;)

hmm.....crap! oooh boy! well.....darnit. :( My highland shelf definately goes to 85F during the day and nighttime can go down to 65F and a bit lower due to water bottle cooling.

You never know till the plant is on your shelf. I'd set it up and don't touch it or move it for as long as possible. I'm growing one of these, and after three months it's just starting to pitcher for me. Good luck!

Capslock

thanks mate. I should be getting it in a fortnight. kinda looking forward to see a new nepenthes that forms distinct and very different pitchers from the regular group. :) ;)

You never know till the plant is on your shelf. I'd set it up and don't touch it or move it for as long as possible. I'm growing one of these, and after three months it's just starting to pitcher for me. Good luck!

Capslock

I would love to see a picture of your plant if you have the time!

my talangensis was quick to adjust....but for some reason it produced some crappy leaves and no pitchers. i got a total of 2 pitchers(only one is still on there though...) i got it back in May and its finally starting to produce normal leaves and....pitchers!! 77* and 43% in the day and 69* and 58% humidity at night. not bad.... humidity wise anyways :)
Alex

N. talengensis. I've had it a few months only and it's just starting to look good.

N.talengensis.jpg

Capslock

wow capslock. AMAZING PLANT DUDE.

Hey glider, yeah man....I love your plant. I especially like the nice green sphagnum carpet. I am going to do the same wiht mine. :D

wow..Hmm...I hope mine does well too. I will get you guys pictures when I get the plant.

cheers,

varun

N. talengensis. I've had it a few months only and it's just starting to look good.

N.talengensis.jpg

Capslock

Beautiful plant Capslock. It looks pretty big - what size pot is that and how old is the plant?

N. talengensis. I've had it a few months only and it's just starting to look good. Capslock

:0o: that's really nice N.talengensis.
Besides the temperature, Do you have any skill? thanks.

Back