Thread: A made a blunder

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy I made a blunder

Hi guys,

Umm!! I just unconciously without considering any circumstance might have submitted a best offer of 23$ + 7$ shipping for a nepenthes talangensis before any research on the plant.w

Now I have been itching for quite a while to get a new nep. And I don't know why I did this...but it was a sure sign of me becoming weaker and weaker and seeing that "ONLY 2 available" and that its "RARE". THe advertised price was 28$ so I am sure that the dude selling will agree.

Now this is a bad thing in a way considering that apparently this plant is a bit hard to grow from information from nepenthesaroundthehouse. I remember that glider and a few other peeps here are growing this plant. Can you guys give me more info? I have googled it, got basically not too much helpful info apart from the obviously misleading info on http://home.arcor.de/j.danz/index.html ( ..thats becos Danz is probably an expert at neps and has wonderful plants which make it seem that all the neps are easy to grow ). [NOTE: just joking....Danz has a great resource available for us]

How did nepenthes newbies find this plant? any to do and any do nots??

thanks,

vraev

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not rare.... IIRC it's extinct in the wild but it's reasonably available in cultivation.

If you can keep the N. rajah alive long-term, this shouldn't be a problem. But you haven't had your N. rajah for a while yet, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, nobody has been to that mount to confirm or deny that it's extinct. The mountain had an eruption but did not explode like Krakatoa. Remember it was thought that a Tsunami took out Viking and it did not.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well..I know that the rajah isn't really thriving..but its not on the brink either. Every single leaf it is making is bigger than the last one. It has finally started making leaves the size of the leaves that the plant came with. Its making around 2 leaves in a month. Pretty decent pace of growth.

BUT

The tendrils aren't extending. They are just 1 inch. I am guessing the rajah isn't really happy with the lighting I am giving it. OR maybe its still under the adjustment phase. A buddy of mine on OCPS says that his rajahs took atleast an year before they started making pitchers from the last year tendrils.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    probly an adjustment phase. rajah is super slow to pitcher from what I've heard. Of course, mine started inward-spiraling the second I got it so I gave it to the local greenhouse. If they can grow a lowii in a stove house, I'll trust them with my rajah.
    talangensis, from my experience, doesn't like low humidity AT ALL. My ventri x talangensis did well in a 10 gallon terrarium next to N. rafflesiana. So I figure, OK, It's a ventri hybrid, let's try it on a windowsill. BOOM! dried up leaves, growing tip turned brown.This shouldn't be a problem for you if rajah grows for you. You obviously put much more effort into your growspace than I did based on your rajah's growth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great. Thanks guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried growing N. talangensis under 2 40-watt cool white tubes a while back and it basically just sat there and did nothing. It eventually made a small basal, but even the basal just froze after some time.

I have a new N. talangensis and it's been growing in a small terrarium under 30 watts of cool white light for a little less than a month now. It's definitely growing, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it likes my newer conditions.

I'll be sure to post if it decides to pitcher!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do u know why the first one didn'tgrow?? this species surely seems very finicky. Is there something very important to keep in mind? As others say....surely this species shouldn't be harder than rajah is it??

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast