Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plan for getting highlanders new lighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Np Vraev, hope it works out. It gives off quite a good amount of light for its size, and exo-terra sells a humidity and temp gauge with probes separately that slide into the rail on top of the fixture. Overall it looks very clean. Some sell them (lighting fixtures) for around 28$, but I cannot recall where exactly i got mine. Either way, a 3$ difference is not bad. Due to the offset placement of the bulbs you might even be able to have a brighter half of the tank and adjust your plants accordingly. Good luck, let us know how it works/looks.

-Daniel

Edit: The dimensions can also be found on some dart frog vivarium supply website. I know they sell plants and i'm not trying to bend any rules or anything, but I am referring to their lights anyway. Besides I just ordered some plants from our sponsor (flytraps) and theyre the healthiest looking of the 6 other online shops i've tried.
    Last edited by Nepenthes; 09-19-2007 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Added info. to clarify.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vraev, my plants are 4"-6" away from the lights. Looks like Sehtnepen saved your day.

All the best to your new set-up and update us on how your highland Neps fare.
    Cindy

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm....there is one issue. The setup here is 27$ or so online...but shipping from US is even more expensive. I cannot see any canadian online stores selling this. I will check out my local pet store and see if they carry it and weigh the price.

I will debate it and compare it with making my own hood with regular home depot materials. I'll keep you guys posted.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GUYS...UPDATE::

I finally did it. I bought a new lighting. Its interesting to see how I can PUT the fixture inside...but:

its lithiona lighting: 2 x 2' flouroscent lighting.

I am using 2 x philips natural sunshine 20 T12 bulbs in it

its 20 watts each....but you gotta agree. waaay better than a single gro and sho. And since its 2 of these which can clearly make my VFT's blood red...the highlanders should love em

what do you think

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guys would placing the 2 foot lights like a foot or two above the plants be fine??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my experience with flourescents I will say 1 foot will be the best...

I use to grow some plants on interior and I will say foot and a half will be the maximun distance to get the most of the lamps... but the kind of plants that I use to grow really need a lot of light.

N. Albomarginata, N. Ampullaria
    N. Bellii, N. Bicalcarata, N. Rafflesiana
    N. Sanguinea (Orange Pitcher), Cephalotus Follicularis

http://www.knology.net/~fus

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great...that should be enough distance to hang the fixture properly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SO MUCH DISAPPOINTMENT

I got a new fixture:

t12 2 x 20 watt philips Natural sunshine

for the highlanders...and

it seems even duller than the single gro and sho I don't know if I am just being paranoid though.

In other news...the miranda has been thrown out of the enclousure. With the new fixture hanging and all...there is no room anymore.

well....this plant had no pitchers when I got it. Now... sheesh! after all this...I am throwing it out.

and after all the money on the lights....expecting atleast a bit better and happy plants...I am not too optimistic...but thats it...yeah..I know I keep saying this over and over. But this is it...this setup is complete. I had enough of spending hundreds of dollars on a couple of plants. (Sorry guys...I am just pissed off to see how weak the T12 20 watts are).

If there si any suggestions you could give me..it would be welcome.

thanks

vraev

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast