What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Izumiae - how hard to grow?

Nepfreak

Nepenthesian
I fell in love when I saw Tony Paroubek's izumiae at NECPS. I just love the coloration, the black peristome, and the sharp teeth! I've been toying with the idea of trying this one on my growshelf, but I can't find much information as to its humidity requirements. Is it a humidity addict plant, or will it tolerate around 50%? My setup is pretty much a metal growshelf in a sunny south facing sill, with extra growlights I can turn on. It would be great to be able to grow it, but maybe I'm biting off more than I can chew...again...
Thanks,
Ben

Never had one, but I say typical highlander (well maybe keep it a few degrees colder). All my highlanders get about 6 months of a constant 80-85 degrees, and all my lowlanders have to go through about 6 months of a constant 50-55 degrees. If you can afford it, give it a shot.

I know Tony and his setup very well and I must say that it would be a typical highlander. Temps at night i believe go to around the low 60s and days to the mid 80's.

Been growing fine for me in my crawlspace along all my other highlanders. Not a hard core highland set up, just something to keep the plants cooler than Atl ambient

Thanks for the replies everybody! Sounds like I should be able to handle it. I'd rather not make a 30 dollar mistake though, so I'll see how my new plants (truncata highland, spectabilis) do for me first.

of course, you could always get an izumiae crossed with a truncata (sold as "Black Dragon") which so far grows pretty fast without any special care

Thanks for the replies everybody! Sounds like I should be able to handle it. I'd rather not make a 30 dollar mistake though, so I'll see how my new plants (truncata highland, spectabilis) do for me first.

30$? i got mine for 15!! the tags on all the izumiae all said 14.99....but the pricelist showed them to be ~24$. i told them and i got mine for the price on the tag.
Alex

?! It says 30 bucks on their website... I'll be calling them about this... I want a 15 dollar izumiae!!

Last edited by a moderator:
no no no no!! the tag said they were 14.99. so i bought it....for 15$ because Richards partner said to go by the tag....then Richard said to go by the sheet(after i bought it) making it 25$(or....something like that) so he cut off the tops of all the tags so it had no price on it...thats the story...

Alex

oopsies. Just sent them a message. lol. I hope I talked to a machine.
It was a polite question, not a demand or anything like that :smile:

LOL. IMO it's a lot funny. Ok, all's good, they don't hate me (yet) They emailed me back and told me what glider told me.

Don't you guys go messin' with them - I'll have to set the ninjas on you! :nono: :rant:

Wait, aren't we not supposed to mention CP buissnesses? Schloaty, your a mod, you should know better!

Or has the rule changed?

No the rule has not changed. And just because everyone else was doing it does not mean you hould do it too :) Especially after pointing out it was against the rules

No the rule has not changed. And just because everyone else was doing it does not mean you hould do it too :) Especially after pointing out it was against the rules

Well you can't blame me for that! If a moderator doesn't change something it's logical to assume that they don't care and that the rule has changed!

No it is not logical. If the rule had changed it would have been posted that the rule had changed. Andrew is pretty good at letting people know the status of thing.

And just because one Mod missed it does not mean you can assume a rule change. So Scholaty missed it, Mods are human too and as such are falible.

No it is not logical. If the rule had changed it would have been posted that the rule had changed. Andrew is pretty good at letting people know the status of things.

Its "Nepenthusiast logic." Don't try to understand-you never will. It only works for me, and trying to comprehend it is the mental parralell of 500 hundred one-hand pushups.

OK, no hard feelings Pyro/Schloaty! Sorry I got mad, but then again, I'm human too!:)

LOL! The mental parallel of 500 1-handed pushups. That's awesome.

you'll notice none of us actually mentioned the buisness name lol. However I was not trying to manipulate the system and I might've... It was a lucky coincidence that I didn't. Sorry 'bout that!
BAD mod! No Nepenthes!
500 1-hand pushups... that's hilarious.:-))

Back