Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My New Baby Hamata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome feedback guys. You give me hope =D. Elgecko I have read extensively on your growing conditions lol. Your pic of your Hamata was the first one I had seen of one, and was the source of my addiction lol. I can honestly blame you for my Nepenthes collection lol . Thanks again all.
    - Daniel

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepenthes View Post
    Elgecko I have read extensively on your growing conditions lol. Your pic of your Hamata was the first one I had seen of one, and was the source of my addiction lol. I can honestly blame you for my Nepenthes collection lol .
    Glad I could help. LOL

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! its interesting that probably this is an addiction that is among the safest addictions in life. lol! I am such a CPaholic, nepenthes addict, ceph addict, VFT addict myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's interesting that hamata gets such a wide range of responses in it's difficulty rating. I grew mine as a highlander during the winter and intermediate durring the summer - no problems.....that is, until we had a HEAT WAVE, and I didn't bring it indoors. 100 degree days with 80 degree nights was too much for most of my highlanders. I lost several that summer.

Live and learn - now I listen to the weather report.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently have 3 hamatas in my highland terrarium indoors. They do not seem to be very hard to cultivate. Although mine are quite young and small they are doing great. Daytime temps: 76-80F, humidity running 80-100%; Nightime temps: 56-62F, 80-100% humidity. I use frozen 2 litre bottles and an 1/5 HP aquarium chiller to get my nightly temp drop. I mist my palnts numerous times during the day, but plan to automate this with a mister on a timer. My smallest hamata has produced 2 pitchers only about 1/2" tall. My other 2 have not produced pitchers yet, but will not be long. My lighting consists of 5 -T5 36" flourescents. Lights are on 16 hour photo period with a 8 hour night temp drop. Hamata does not seem to be to difficult although N. rajah I have is much more difficult( think it needs lower night temps than I can provide.)
    I have only had these for about 4 months but all are doing great. I to was scared N hamata was too difficult but is proving not so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback guys =D.

Elgecko it really was a good thing lol =).

Vraev you're right, it is an addiction, but maybe not the most healthiest lol. Well, not the cheapest at least.

Schloaty, sorry to hear about your loss =( but i'm glad to hear you had ease with it prior to the heat wave =D.

Macamus, that sounds like a pretty sweet setup. I was considering an aquarium chiller also, as I have trouble with nighttime temp drops. Do u filter the water in the tank?
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My highland terrarium is all glass as my family is in the commercial glass biisiness. On one side I have built a modified cooler. Inside this cooler I place 3 2litre frozen bottles and also my chiller cable. A special fan pulls air from top of terrarium and flows around frozen bottles and chiller cable/tubes. The discharge is at the bottom of the terrarium and circulates the cold air to the bottom. I also place 3 2litre frozen bottles in the terrarium itself. This may sound labor intensive but is not. Only takes about 10 minutes in the evening and 10 minutes in morning to set up/break down.
    I do not run the chiller in water as the one I have can be run in air or water. I do have 1-2inches of water in bottom but do not circulate.
    This setup has been working very well for the past 6 months. I eventually want to automate the whole setup maybe with an AC unit working in conjuction with a mister, hven't worked out details yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that sounds way legit. What chiller do you use? All the ones I have seen are water only. I am currently only using 2 .5 liter frozen bottles to get the temps just slightly cooler.
    - Daniel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast