Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My New Baby Hamata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what brand the chiller is. I bought it about 12 years ago when I was heavy into mini-reef tanks in Oakland, CA. It was sitting in a closet gathering dust. Tried out in the terrarium one night and gave me 10F temp drop with just a fan blowing around the coils. Was not meant to work the way I use it, but it was just an experiment that seems to work very well. Although sometimes humidity will drop into low 80% by morning. I am going to add a hydrostatic mister to fix this shortly. I use big 2litre frozen bottles, six per night altogether because of the size of terrarium 4' x 2' x 3-1/2' tall. This gives me the initial temp drop into the upper 50's and the chiller maintains the temp 62F or lower in a 75F room for 7-8 hours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow... that sounds like a sweet deal... cept freezing large 2-liters has to get old? And I can't believe your Rajah gives you problems despite the awesome setup.
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea that is a little inconvenient. I have a deep freezer and keep about 24 2litres frozen and just rotate every morning.
    My N. rajah comes from a clone that was grown in almost ultra-highland conditions. I think that is why having a hard time acclimating. I am probably going to give this plant back to my friend before it dies. This particular plant needs a temp drop into the mid to low 40s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang that sux =/ I may be having that same issue because for the last year my plant has been making progressively smaller leaves. I have managed to get the temps down to 60F lately (with frozen bottles), but the plant shows no sign of improvement. The roots are pretty huge though for such a tiny plant. Lol, i'm bout to throw it in the fridge overnight hahah. Of course, i'm pretty sure 37F is a touch too cold. Thanks again for the feedback =D. Oh yea, I already asked, but you said you didn't know what brand the chiller was? Does it have any numbers on it or anything? Any way of identifying it? Something like that would be perfect for my needs, especially at such a low HP-rating.
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a plaque on the outside but no model or serial numbers. Company name on plaque says Aqua Logic Inc. 1/5 HP Drop-in Chiller.
    My friend about 75 miles north of me keeps his N. rajah in a ultra-highland grow box along with villosa and macrophylla and others. His plants are beautifully grown. He is an older man in his 70's and at times is not a very sociable guy. We became friends when I fixed his garage door and somehow found out I also grew Neps. He told me he lowers his temps to between 38-40F at night and then turns freezer off. This allows terrarium to slowly warm til morning.
    I would love to set up a ultra-highland system like his but at this time way to cost prohibitive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that does sound way expensive. Thanks for the quick feedback =) I am about to check out some of those chillers right now. It sounds very expensive to be running a freezer for my Neps... but then again how sweet does a villosa and macrophylla sound? Lol my electric bill is gonna be 500$/month.
    - Daniel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123