What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well my computer sucks. I just typed up a few questions and some background info. about my growing conditions, but my comp took a crap on me. So, rather than retype it all I just want to ask you all one question: What are your suggestions on growing Hamatas? I can't get my rajah to pitcher yet, but with winter approaching I should be able to get lower nighttime temps. All suggestions/information/advice would be greatly appreciated. My hamata is shown potted in a 2.5" pot, potted in pure LFS. I have since changed it to a 1:1:1:1 Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite, Bark Mix. I put LFS on top, and placed the small root structure in the LFS, so as not to throw the plant into shock. The root structure was surprisingly small, but I am hopeful. It seems Hamatas are a bit more accepting of less-than-ideal growing conditions (from what I have read at least) so maybe I can get pitchers despite the San Diego heat year round. Someone stop me if they think otherwise because I have a burning urge to purchase 2 more Hamatas lol. Well, I didn't want to retype so much, but since I already have I guess I will type a little more. I currently have the plant in a 5 Gallon Terraium under T5 HO fluorescents. I put it in the small terrarium because it is easier to maintain lower temperatures than in my larger tank. This also makes the frozen water bottle method more effective. I have never used Trichoderma, but I am thinking I probably should. I saw a documentary about fertilizers (Modern Marvels) and it seems pretty legit. Again, all advice/suggestions are welcome. I just want to provide the best possible growing conditions for the plant that I can in my climate.

P.S. I have an Aristolochioides on the way. I didn't order it originally, but it was a replacement plant. How hard are they? Easier than Rajah? More difficult than Hamata?

BabyHamata.jpg

aristo is easier than hamata and rajah. I don't use trichoderma, and since it's naturally occuring in pretty much every soil anyway, I don't see a reason to add any.

Sweet. Yea, I heard it (Trich) was present just about everywhere, but I figured adding it might speed up the process. So is Hamata fairly difficult? Will I see pitcher formation even in the hotter months of growth? Thanks for the feedback.

If you could keep it as cool as you can in your hot climate, do so. I have killed every single hamata I bought in my tropical heat. I had one going for me once, then my dad did not water it for me when I went overseas. :-(

N. hamata is about the most unforgiving Nep to acclimatise unless you have very high humidity as well as cool temperatures. Lacking one and it migrates to CP paradise. But then again, my temperatures are high 80s year round.

Wow. I can maintain high humidity, but the temps do worry me. This winter should be OK, but then I do get pretty high temps for the rest of the year. Thanks for the input, I will be keeping my fingers crossed, and my water bottles frozen lol :D.

I grow mine here in San Jose with no problems at all. If you are going to grow it indoors then you should have little or no difficulty at all. In the summer while I am gone to work it can easily reach the mid-upper 90's inside my house. When I get home and switch the cooler on it will bring the temps into the low to mid 70's and overnight down into the mid 60's. Winters obviously are cooler, but well within the acceptable range for N. hamata.

Honestly I have no idea why this plant has such a reputation of being "difficult". I find it to be one of the easiest Neps in my collection.

Enjoy your new baby,
Steve

Wow, great plants for such a small list! You already have more than I do.

Awesome feedback guys. You give me hope =D. Elgecko I have read extensively on your growing conditions lol. Your pic of your Hamata was the first one I had seen of one, and was the source of my addiction lol. I can honestly blame you for my Nepenthes collection lol :D. Thanks again all.

Elgecko I have read extensively on your growing conditions lol. Your pic of your Hamata was the first one I had seen of one, and was the source of my addiction lol. I can honestly blame you for my Nepenthes collection lol :D.
Glad I could help. :confused: LOL

lol! its interesting that probably this is an addiction that is among the safest addictions in life. lol! I am such a CPaholic, nepenthes addict, ceph addict, VFT addict myself. :p

It's interesting that hamata gets such a wide range of responses in it's difficulty rating. I grew mine as a highlander during the winter and intermediate durring the summer - no problems.....that is, until we had a HEAT WAVE, and I didn't bring it indoors. 100 degree days with 80 degree nights was too much for most of my highlanders. I lost several that summer.

Live and learn - now I listen to the weather report.

I currently have 3 hamatas in my highland terrarium indoors. They do not seem to be very hard to cultivate. Although mine are quite young and small they are doing great. Daytime temps: 76-80F, humidity running 80-100%; Nightime temps: 56-62F, 80-100% humidity. I use frozen 2 litre bottles and an 1/5 HP aquarium chiller to get my nightly temp drop. I mist my palnts numerous times during the day, but plan to automate this with a mister on a timer. My smallest hamata has produced 2 pitchers only about 1/2" tall. My other 2 have not produced pitchers yet, but will not be long. My lighting consists of 5 -T5 36" flourescents. Lights are on 16 hour photo period with a 8 hour night temp drop. Hamata does not seem to be to difficult although N. rajah I have is much more difficult( think it needs lower night temps than I can provide.)
I have only had these for about 4 months but all are doing great. I to was scared N hamata was too difficult but is proving not so.

Thanks for the feedback guys =D.

Elgecko it really was a good thing lol =).

Vraev you're right, it is an addiction, but maybe not the most healthiest lol. Well, not the cheapest at least.

Schloaty, sorry to hear about your loss =( but i'm glad to hear you had ease with it prior to the heat wave =D.

Macamus, that sounds like a pretty sweet setup. I was considering an aquarium chiller also, as I have trouble with nighttime temp drops. Do u filter the water in the tank?

My highland terrarium is all glass as my family is in the commercial glass biisiness. On one side I have built a modified cooler. Inside this cooler I place 3 2litre frozen bottles and also my chiller cable. A special fan pulls air from top of terrarium and flows around frozen bottles and chiller cable/tubes. The discharge is at the bottom of the terrarium and circulates the cold air to the bottom. I also place 3 2litre frozen bottles in the terrarium itself. This may sound labor intensive but is not. Only takes about 10 minutes in the evening and 10 minutes in morning to set up/break down.
I do not run the chiller in water as the one I have can be run in air or water. I do have 1-2inches of water in bottom but do not circulate.
This setup has been working very well for the past 6 months. I eventually want to automate the whole setup maybe with an AC unit working in conjuction with a mister, hven't worked out details yet.

Wow, that sounds way legit. What chiller do you use? All the ones I have seen are water only. I am currently only using 2 .5 liter frozen bottles to get the temps just slightly cooler.

I'm not sure what brand the chiller is. I bought it about 12 years ago when I was heavy into mini-reef tanks in Oakland, CA. It was sitting in a closet gathering dust. Tried out in the terrarium one night and gave me 10F temp drop with just a fan blowing around the coils. Was not meant to work the way I use it, but it was just an experiment that seems to work very well. Although sometimes humidity will drop into low 80% by morning. I am going to add a hydrostatic mister to fix this shortly. I use big 2litre frozen bottles, six per night altogether because of the size of terrarium 4' x 2' x 3-1/2' tall. This gives me the initial temp drop into the upper 50's and the chiller maintains the temp 62F or lower in a 75F room for 7-8 hours.

wow... that sounds like a sweet deal... cept freezing large 2-liters has to get old? And I can't believe your Rajah gives you problems despite the awesome setup.

Yea that is a little inconvenient. I have a deep freezer and keep about 24 2litres frozen and just rotate every morning.
My N. rajah comes from a clone that was grown in almost ultra-highland conditions. I think that is why having a hard time acclimating. I am probably going to give this plant back to my friend before it dies. This particular plant needs a temp drop into the mid to low 40s.

Dang that sux =/ I may be having that same issue because for the last year my plant has been making progressively smaller leaves. I have managed to get the temps down to 60F lately (with frozen bottles), but the plant shows no sign of improvement. The roots are pretty huge though for such a tiny plant. Lol, i'm bout to throw it in the fridge overnight hahah. Of course, i'm pretty sure 37F is a touch too cold. Thanks again for the feedback =D. Oh yea, I already asked, but you said you didn't know what brand the chiller was? Does it have any numbers on it or anything? Any way of identifying it? Something like that would be perfect for my needs, especially at such a low HP-rating.

Back