Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My New Baby Hamata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My New Baby Hamata

Well my computer sucks. I just typed up a few questions and some background info. about my growing conditions, but my comp took a crap on me. So, rather than retype it all I just want to ask you all one question: What are your suggestions on growing Hamatas? I can't get my rajah to pitcher yet, but with winter approaching I should be able to get lower nighttime temps. All suggestions/information/advice would be greatly appreciated. My hamata is shown potted in a 2.5" pot, potted in pure LFS. I have since changed it to a 1:1:1:1 Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite, Bark Mix. I put LFS on top, and placed the small root structure in the LFS, so as not to throw the plant into shock. The root structure was surprisingly small, but I am hopeful. It seems Hamatas are a bit more accepting of less-than-ideal growing conditions (from what I have read at least) so maybe I can get pitchers despite the San Diego heat year round. Someone stop me if they think otherwise because I have a burning urge to purchase 2 more Hamatas lol. Well, I didn't want to retype so much, but since I already have I guess I will type a little more. I currently have the plant in a 5 Gallon Terraium under T5 HO fluorescents. I put it in the small terrarium because it is easier to maintain lower temperatures than in my larger tank. This also makes the frozen water bottle method more effective. I have never used Trichoderma, but I am thinking I probably should. I saw a documentary about fertilizers (Modern Marvels) and it seems pretty legit. Again, all advice/suggestions are welcome. I just want to provide the best possible growing conditions for the plant that I can in my climate.

P.S. I have an Aristolochioides on the way. I didn't order it originally, but it was a replacement plant. How hard are they? Easier than Rajah? More difficult than Hamata?

- Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aristo is easier than hamata and rajah. I don't use trichoderma, and since it's naturally occuring in pretty much every soil anyway, I don't see a reason to add any.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet. Yea, I heard it (Trich) was present just about everywhere, but I figured adding it might speed up the process. So is Hamata fairly difficult? Will I see pitcher formation even in the hotter months of growth? Thanks for the feedback.
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you could keep it as cool as you can in your hot climate, do so. I have killed every single hamata I bought in my tropical heat. I had one going for me once, then my dad did not water it for me when I went overseas.

N. hamata is about the most unforgiving Nep to acclimatise unless you have very high humidity as well as cool temperatures. Lacking one and it migrates to CP paradise. But then again, my temperatures are high 80s year round.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I can maintain high humidity, but the temps do worry me. This winter should be OK, but then I do get pretty high temps for the rest of the year. Thanks for the input, I will be keeping my fingers crossed, and my water bottles frozen lol .
    - Daniel

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow mine here in San Jose with no problems at all. If you are going to grow it indoors then you should have little or no difficulty at all. In the summer while I am gone to work it can easily reach the mid-upper 90's inside my house. When I get home and switch the cooler on it will bring the temps into the low to mid 70's and overnight down into the mid 60's. Winters obviously are cooler, but well within the acceptable range for N. hamata.

Honestly I have no idea why this plant has such a reputation of being "difficult". I find it to be one of the easiest Neps in my collection.

Enjoy your new baby,
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, great plants for such a small list! You already have more than I do.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not worry like Steve said.

A post of mine that list my household conditions that I grow my N. hamata in.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=108509

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast