What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neps. in water trays

Ant

Your one and only pest!
I have been keeping my 2 neps. in water trays so I can't foreget to water them. From what I heard is that they don't like sitting in water. I have never been good with neps. in the 3 years I have been growing one it has only grown new stem and the old stem looks near death then anything else and the new one is extremly happy.??? Well I have kept a Nepenthes ventricosa and Nepenthes sanguinea in water with seemingly no ill effects and are now doing great after each of their first summer outside with me. Also how hard is it to grow Nepenthes sanguinea? Sorry if my post may be a little confusing.

Lol, yea it is a little confusing... But in general Neps do not like sitting in a tray of water. This is especially so when you have a soil that wicks water up towards the roots. This can cause root rot and other problems. The water tray method could probably work well with a very porous and well-draining mix, so long as it is used only for humidity purposes. Some people do seem to use the water tray method, even with a water-wicking soil (heavy peat), with no ill effects. I am guessing however, that they do regular maintenance to avoid problems (Low level of water in the tray, regular flushing, regular cleaning of tray). The Ventricosa is notoriously hardy and so I'm sure even with less-than-ideal conditions it will prosper in a water tray... however I have not grown Sanguinea before. I actually intend on ordering one from TF sponsor/admin: Flytraps (Andrew). He seems to grow them just fine, even in his high heat environment. Seeing as how the plant is a Highlander, I would assume this means that it can be grown in a wide range of conditions. I believe I have also read that it is relatively easy for a highlander, but you may want to check a few more sources. Good luck! =)

-Daniel

P.S.: Why you mad? Lol I just read the shout box. You gotta be mad for some reason.

It is a highlander!?! I thought it was just another nep. I was never planning on trying a highlander. Well I guess I did without knowing it. I don't now who but, someone keeps putting the garden hose in my bog leaving a gapping hole and all my tiny new plants laying across the bog. I alredy lost half of the new little ones because of this and no one is confessing or stopping!

Aww, that sucks. Is it someone you live with? Oh yea, Sanguinea is considered a highlander, but it grows in a somewhat intermediate range. Your Ventricosa is also a highlander, but a very hardy one. By the way, Highlanders are usually best for outside growing, as they can tolerate the lower humidity fluctuations. I am not sure what your conditions are like in your neck of the woods, but it should be fine. You may want to check out nepenthesaroundthehouse . com if you haven't already. The owner of the site grows his highland neps outdoors. He also has some useful information.

In general, Neps tend to dislike sitting in a water tray full time. I keep trays under all of mine. When I water, I topwater untill the water fills the tray underneath, then I dont water them again for several days. They usually soak up all the water in the tray in a day or so and I wait till the media is almost dry before I water them again. Its worked well for me so far.

Good luck,
Steve

I don't have the most atteintive mind. One day I foregot I had 2 dogs and not one, The second day we got the new one though.:blush:

N. sanguinea is one of the best neps out there for a beginner. its super fast. makes large pitchers and is amazingly easy to grow! even though its highlander, you should have no problems with it at all!

Alex

i grow all my neps on a permanant water tray system, just like my sarracenia's.

they haven't died on me so far! :D

i do cut back on watering when it gets colder though-for both genus', and amp-up water when it gets hotter.

In my experience, the water tray method is only detrimental if you have exceedingly high humidity.

Even then, certain neps, like bicalcarata and raflessiana, seem to like a swampy environment.

I grow most of my neps in water trays, and I don't have many problems - most of my casualties are because of exessive heat, not water. Darn NY summers.

Back