What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new to nepenthes

I recently got a nepenthes from home depot and can't get a picture of it any tips? also that it is super healhty but i don't know which conditions

If you got it from Home Depot, there is a good chance it is a Nepenthes Ventrata. This means that it is a hybrid cross between Nepenthes Ventricosa and Nepenthes Alata. This is one of the most commonly mass-produced nepenthes, if not the most. These two are both highlander Nepenthes, however it does not have the same requirements of a typical highlander because it is a hybrid of two very hardy species. Nepenthes are typically categorized between two general types: Highlander and Lowlander. Highlanders require cooler temperatures than lowlanders, and can deal with lower daytime humidity so long as humidity climbs overnight (which it typically does in almost all climates). Lowlanders require warmer temperatures, and a consistenly higher humidity. The best thing you can do is to read up previous posts about different types of nepenthes and gather some basic information. Nepenthesaroundthehouse . com is also a good website to learn some basics. The owner grows a wide range of nepenthes and has information about each type, including pictures and growing information. Below is a picture of my Nepenthes Ventrata that I somewhat neglect, and yet it still grows very well. Take a look at the pitchers and compare them to yours... if it looks very similar there is a good chance this is also what you have.

Ventratamaybe.jpg

If it's not N.ventrata and/or you got it in one of those little cubes, it could be N. "Judith Finn". This is a super fast grower for me when kept in dappled shade or under fluorescents. Temps can range from 90's to 60's (F) for me. I don't know if it will do well any higher or lower I just haven't tried. Humidity isn't that big of a deal for this one. It grows and pitchers at ~30 relative humidity for me and is a good starter Nepenthes.

Home Depot has also sold large quntities of N.rafflesiana. I bought one this past May07 from thier throwaway plant rack. This plant was completely bne dry and only had a small leaf still alive. I rescued it and as of today has 12 pitchers on the plant and each leaf/pitcher is larger than the last. If you have a Raff it is a lowland species and requires hot and humid conditions although you can acclimate to lower humidity but takes time.

Is the top half of the pitcher tube red and the bottom green?

Like this (less the red peristome)?

710734570_d7cf8cd2b7.jpg

Note the red upper half that is visible if you look closely at the left side of the picture.

If so it's N. "Judith Finn"

it is green with red splotches and is a baby
its lid is green and lower body of the pitcher is green with red

it looks like this
NspathXveitchiiHighlndCR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
yup! judith finn. pretty common nep. good starter nep as well. :)

Sometimes you get lucky. I grew this plant out of one of those little cubes I bought at Home Depot.
P1060543.jpg

This one too:
P1010824.jpg

i actually found out it is a rafflasiana and i don't know how to take care of it any tips on this species

Wow what a STEAL steve!!!!

polywer, N. rafflesiana likes it WARM and HUMID!!! Moderate lighting and moist soil. Pretty much it.

Back