What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

whats an intermediate with large pitchers?

ive got a bit of grow room now and am thinking about getting a nep that actually gets large pitchers.........got a neps that are big but they dont get large pitchers........species, hybrids....doesnt matter but i like colorful

N. X "Black Dragon" Grows well on my intermediate windowsill.

truncata highland seems to be doing fine on my intermediate sill. And they get HUGE. Black Dragon does too. You could also do rafflesiana if you're patient, mine took a hit when I moved it to the windowsill and stalled a few months but then bounced back with good growth. Miranda, Sanguinea and maxima are also good candidates.

Have you thought about N. x "Miranda?" This plant will grow anywhere.

At the NECPS show I saw TWO Miranda pitchers that rivaled truncatas. No joke. They were at LEAST 14 or 15" tall (counting the lid).

I, myself, have not been able to get one over a foot, but even that is pretty impressive.

I will cast my vote in for 'Miranda' as well. Well grown specimens at ABG break 18" pretty easy.

I can also suggest 'Ile de France' as mine just fired out a pitcher that is easy a foot in height.

Might be able to hook you up with the prior too if you are interested

maxima x truncata
thorelii x truncata
alata x truncata
ventricosa x truncata

would be my top choices.

-- notice a theme here?

i can quite put my finger on it but i think i see a pattern :grin:

That's true, 'Miranda' would work... I just chopped the heck out of mine, so the pitchers of existing vines seems to have set back a little... But here are some older pics of the pitchers

My plant before copping it up:
attachment.php

Lower
miranda8_2006lower.JPG

Upper after moving plant to rafters
xmiranda6_25_07.jpg

Upper before moving plant to the rafters
mirandaupper1.JPG

Dunno how it compares to others, but I'd consider them good sized pitchers. :)

Back