Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with the sphagnum moss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help with the sphagnum moss

My question is not related to tropical pitcher plants, but rather, the live Moss that we grow them as a dressing with. I'm not sure which form to put it in since the Moss itself is not a carnivorous plant but, we all know it goes hand in hand with these plants. Over the past month I have watched as my Moss systematically has begun to die and turn brown. I have tried flushing the media each morning with water until water comes out from the bottom of the pot. Each night, I also spray distilled water on the Moss until water comes out from the bottom of the pot as well,. I think that it is sufficiently hydrated. I grow it in the shade under the benches. The relative humidity in Singapore is usually 80 to 90%. Maybe when it's windy it will drop to 60 or 70%. The temperature is like California in the summer. You think you folks could tell me what you think I am not doing correctly? I don't want to lose all of this Moss. It's very precious in Singapore and it's very difficult to get living specimens of it.

And now the current state:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know much about live moss either but JLAP knows a lot about growing it.

I'd say he is out resident expert on growing healthy moss.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, well thanks but I wouldn't go that far lol.

Have you trimmed the moss? Whenever I trim it back too far that that happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope i did not try to trim it. Perhaps however do you think i should trim the tips off now in an effort to save them lest they die off as well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How hot does it get in Singapore? I think that may be a problem growing the sphagnum. Sphagnum comes from the colder regions of the world and grow better in cooler temperatures. High temperatures seem to kill it or make it grow really slowly. I know during the summers here it gets hot and my sphagnum stops growing and dies out a little but will grow back during the winter when temperatures drop a little.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aww I think that depends on the Sphagum. I've grown it in VERY hot lowland chambers as well as intermediate conditions and It was never bothered. There are several (maybe many?) species of Sphagnum and I think they all pretty much look the same to the novice.

My advice is get some Sphagnum native to the tropics. Don't take it from the wild unless you have permission from the property owner, but get it from another singaporean grower or a grower in another tropical country nearby.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am growing newzealand sphag with my neps. They hated the high light that the vfts love....but with the neps... highland and lowland..the colour has improved and it grows like a weed. It almost overruns my ramispina.

started with this much live moss:

6 months later

The main thing I see for them is: shaded light, nice humidity so that it doesn't dry up and water. All three are required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna have to disagree that they need shade. High light = short compact moss. Lower light= fluffier moss. Don't worry about the moss when it comes to lighting, just do what your plants prefer (which in my opinion is more is almost always better ) In the wild you can see both forms of the same moss in full sun (short and compact) and in the shade (fluffy).

The same moss can grow just as well in either low or high light, it'll just look different.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast