What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. rafflesiana... uppers!

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Hello, I was given some pretty nice neps not too long ago because he couldn't really provide them with what they needed. One of those neps was N. rafflesiana. It only produced about 5 lower pitchers in my care then went right to vining and producing uppers :) I LOVE this plant!! So here are (possibly too many :p) pictures. Click the URL for higher res photos.. (especially the 3rd!)

P1010163.JPG

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/d/21594-1/P1010163.JPG
P1010164.JPG

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/d/21597-1/P1010164.JPG
P1010166_001.JPG

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/d/21603-1/P1010166_001.JPG
P1010168.JPG

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/d/21606-1/P1010168.JPG
P1010169_001.JPG

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/d/21609-1/P1010169_001.JPG

Enjoy :)
Andrew

nice!

i like!

well done!

not yet an upper :D intermediate anyone? :) if it was a true upper, it would have no wings
Alex

how old is your rafflesiana adnedarn?

not yet an upper :D intermediate anyone? :) if it was a true upper, it would have no wings
Alex

Couldn't tell ya. As I've said in a few Nep posts... I'm not the biggest nep guy around, I just happen to grow them decently I guess. I was actually unaware of anything other than uppers and lowers. I just know this looks different than what it was making :D

I don't know how old the plant is.. I've had it 5 months but it was a good size before that...

Here it is back in June on the far left

P1010098.jpg

And here it is as of today (sorry for the bright backlighting.. I shoulda used the flash.. ohwell, you get the idea! This pitcher by the way is resting on the rack.. the tendril is that long.

P1010170.JPG

Last edited:
Alex

Hello sir,

Nepenthes taxonomists do not recognise "Intermediate" pitchers, they are a stupid fad concocted by self proclaimed know it all hobbyests. nononono

Garren.

I believe he was being slightly facetious in calling it an intermediate, hence the smiley face and the question mark. Anywho, concocted is spelled as such, not "concockted". BTW, maybe you could post about something else, other than flaming Glider14.

Nice pics Andrew. I hope I can provide similar conditions for my Raff when it gets that big =).

Hello sir,

Nepenthes taxonomists do not recognise "Intermediate" pitchers, they are a stupid fad concokted by self proclaimed know it all hobbiests. nononono

Garren.

great...hes back. and its concocted...sheesh

Alex

EDIT: just now read Neps post. agreed. you dont trash on anyone else but me.

4 posts then a flame,
nice way to be known as :-))
Well I want to grow N. rafflesiana
but theyget big so a 55 gallont tank won't cut it will it ?
II could maybe if my mom lets me cover my closet without a door slap plexiglass on it then heat but that is very unlikely

how about 4 flames :D

Am I the only one who also caught the fact he can't spell hobbyists?

nah...

we're all cp hobbiest!

fight the power Glider, fight the power! :D

Poor guy... only 4 posts before get beat.

That is why I double check my spelling before click on SUBMIT REPLY.

recognise should be spell recognize right?

1194082685.jpg

Here is N. rafflesiana 'Kondo' to share

Am I the only one who also caught the fact he can't spell hobbyists?

Lol I completely missed that one... I just saw the obscene "concockted" and his track record for flaming Glider.

Poor guy... only 4 posts before get beat.

That is why I double check my spelling before click on SUBMIT REPLY.

recognise should be spell recognize right?

Actually he only "got beat" because he only flames on glider14 in his posts. I just tacked on his spelling abilities to point out that no one is perfect... Yes it is "recognize".

of course, since we are being particular about people's spelling and grammar, I believe:

recognise should be spelled recognize, right?

Anyway, the Atlanta Botanical Garden has a particularly nice raff that had very nice uppers. They chopped it way back this spring/summer. I was getting HUGE!!!

Now, what was that about glass houses?

Garren, if you are on these boards to flame someone then leave, if you're here to contribute information to a topic at hand then you are welcome to stay. Correct with prudence but be just when doing it if you must.

I am confused why he is only slamming on Glider and no one else? Says he is in the UK so I wouldn't think there has been a bad plant exchange? Any ideas Glider?

of course, since we are being particular about people's spelling and grammar, I believe:

recognise should be spelled recognize, right?

Anyway, the Atlanta Botanical Garden has a particularly nice raff that had very nice uppers. They chopped it way back this spring/summer. I was getting HUGE!!!

Now, what was that about glass houses?

Apparently you are missing the point. I wouldn't have even pointed out his (Garren's) typos had the guy not had a track record of just flaming glider14 on here. And I did so to point out that no one is perfect, and hence there is no point in badgering (flaming) any single member. And BTW, I'm pretty sure English is not MrFus primary language. Besides that, he maintains a very respectful demeanor in his address of others (although if you wish to just help him improve his English, then that is legitimate). N. Gracilis I hope you were not referring to me with "Correct with prudence but be just when doing it if you must", because I was trying to be just and prudent.

Back