What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

? about raff x ? seeds from tropics

I received some rafflesiana x ? seeds (I think from tropics) a while back.
He posted what plants the male pollen may have come from. Does anyone remember or have a link to that? I should be able to identify the male from the look of the plants when they grow up.
these are the only nep seeds to sprout for me so far. they seem to be growing well even though I made the mistake of planting them in dried lfs that is now very live and growing so much I have had to trim it so the seedlings don't get buried.
thanks,
Zero

I have no idea what the cross was....but use peat next time :D

Actually those seed were from me :)

IIRC the order of likeliness for the seed was: raff, bical, trunc, alata based on proximity to other flowering plants in the greenhouse.

yeah, it was you come to think of it.
thanks. I REALLY need to start keeping better records.
the seeds had a high germination rate:)
peace,
Zero

Hey Pyro,
It may be any combination of those potential pollen donors!
Zero, you may find you have an assortment of raff hybrids using the listed males.

Yes, Trent you are correct, it may be all those possible males got some pollen over to the female.

Hey Guys,

I had some of that seed - and despite me mis-treating them, I wound up with five very healthy plants. I've traded away one or two, but I still have the others.

They're already 3" across!

3 inches......wonder what my problem is?...............could be the 20 some seedlings all in a 4 inch pot......what do you think? :grin:

3 inches?!

The only one that sprouted for me is a little under half an inch across. :scratch:

Are you growing under lights with a long day length?

Guys, I sprouted these seeds roughly a year ago.... not sure exactly. Could I be speaking of a different batch?

I belive pyro sent these out starting in Feb. Heres the best of the bunch for me.

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Only one out of 50 or so seedling (I have two four inch pots full) is show alot of color. Anybody else getting color from their seedlings?

Chris

I had like 10 seeds from a friend who probably got them from here. None germinated. :( I used chopped live lfs and put it under good light. No germination at all. :(

I don't know what I did wrong. But, I really do want to try nep seed again. maybe some ampurilla or albomarginata. I am trying to buy some nep seed...but can't find any good seed apart from regular varities.

vraev......i have had problems in the past with nep seed......my best solution has been to spread the seed on a mix of milled LFS and coco-peat(im sure peat works to) place pot in a ziplock bag, add enough water to make sure the soil is thoroughly damp and set it under the lights and ignore it..........pretty much has worked every time......

Awsome. I will definately try that mate. I am contacting ppl at various boards and hopefulyl I can find some good seed somewhere. :)

February? Hmmmm....I feel like I've had mine a little longer than that....

I don't have my PM's any more (or the envelope), and IIRC, Pyro may have offered them up twice? I'm WAY too lazy to go back and look.

i got mine in March/April IIRC....but i know it was after he offered them to most......he sent them along with some other stuff

Hey all,

I was just checking my rafs from Pyro's seeds....they can't be from the Feb. batch. I was wrong about the 3"....They're closer to 5". They must have come from a previous offer of the same seeds from Pyro.

Update to my luck so far with Pyro's generous give away. Took these this morning... with the cellphone so they arent great.

72cdcd42f91eil7.jpg

a32442b67e85ub9.jpg

The group, 7 total. Started with about 12.

2aca1be243f2fl4.jpg

2 largest.

eb50dd743b24sd5.jpg

the 2 smallest

9c3b22badb16bd2.jpg

6595d7cd3d11eq4.jpg

Some weak attempts at showing some sort of detail.

As for coloring. The 2 smallest plants, the ones with the quarter, are coloring differently than the others. The leaves are kind of blushing a pale red and the "bellies" of the little pichers are also blushing. All of the plants look quite pale in the pics but the leaves are waxy looking and green. A few of the pitchers on one of the largest plants are getting red speckles.

Received seeds mid March 07, germination early May 07.

Thanks Pyro.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure he said he did get them from me early on in this thread after I posted that they came from me :)

Back