Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lady Pauline vs. Exotic Lady

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lady Pauline vs. Exotic Lady

I was wondering what you guys think of these two hybrids? I know they have the same parentage, but I was wondering how much of a difference it causes when the parents are swapped: Lady Pauline (Talangensis x Maxima) Vs. Exotic Lady (Maxima x Talangensis). Please post pictures of your plants if you have them, as I would be very interested in seeing them.
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I don't grow Exotic Lady, I do grow its siblings maxima-dark x talangensis, (seed grown as opposed to TC). For me, the maxima x talangensis is a better grower than Lady Pauline. Which makes a little sense since maxima as the female parent will exhibit greater influence on its progeny and is the easier species to grow. It also seems to have better coloration to me. I can add some pics later.

In general, children will be more influenced by the female parent, especially in cultivation requirements, but exceptions do exist. A highland x lowland will do better in highland conditions and a lowland x highland will do better in lowland conditions although they both may prefer intermediate conditions.
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx for the feedback . I want to try the "Exotic Lady" reciprocal cross of "Lady Pauline", but I wasn't too sure on the variation. FWIW, here is a couple pics of my Lady Pauline. It is still young and has immature pitchers, but I think it looks pretty cool. I think I will try the Exotic Lady though, as I like the Maxima in it as well.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks very similar. Here are my maxima-dark x talangensis

and my Lady Pauline. I'm not sure why the pitchers are looking so bland, but they used to look like yours:
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i need to get me something soon too...before they are gone like the TM hybrids and the dragons!
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh. Very nice Srduggins. Thank you for sharing . They do like very similar, but I like the more elongated look of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by glider14 View Post
    i need to get me something soon too...before they are gone like the TM hybrids and the dragons!
    Alex
    I agree! I have been trying to hound down a 'Black Dragon' for a while now. I am very pleased with my 'Marbled Dragon', and when I wanted to buy another for outside, I could not find one anywhere. I also like the 'Sabre' (TM hybrid) very much, and it has been quite a hardy Nep. It has even survived a vicious assault by my roommate's dog. I'm not the biggest fan of 'Red Dragon', but I may have just received a less than ideal specimen. I noticed some have a striped peristome, and are a little more flashy than others. I just ordered a 'Gothica' recently, as it also looks promising. I think I will pick up an 'Exotic Lady' soon too, to nearly complete the EP hybrid collection .
    - Daniel

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepenthes View Post
    I think I will pick up an 'Exotic Lady' soon too, to nearly complete the EP hybrid collection .
    You'll need a lot more room for a "complete" collection of their hybrids.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol true that... I just meant their recent "pot plant" releases... I wish I could have their complete collection of hybrids. The photos of their collection is amazing.
    - Daniel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast