What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my N. viking/globosa growth

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Hello, up to now my pictures are kinda all over... So here is a thread showing the growth of my plant, to it's current status.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Below is the current pitcher, you can see how long the tendril is by looking at the bottom of the 3.5" pot in the top of the picture.
1025071856.jpg

Take care,
Andrew

Viking is very quick in adapting/growing.

My plant when I bought it in a 3 or 4" pot (can't remember):
viking1-1.jpg

6(?) months later:
DCP_1737.jpg

Now it's a lot larger than the last photo shows. Viking has a very extensive root system, I recommend grossly overpotting.

I wish I could find a picture of when i got it.. it had 1 dying leaf... I really didn't expect it to come back! I'll keep looking. Thanks for the sugestion.. i'll look into a bigger pot :)

Mine is slowly creeping along. It was doing fairly well but now it seems that the growth point is damaged somehow; at least the edges where the leaf will uncurl from is not crisp, if that makes any sense. It's still pretty small by comparison, though.

xvart.

btw Andrew what soil mix are you using? I use like 70% wood, 30% peat, and a touch of perlite. I hear adding crushed coral makes this species go zoooooooooooooooooom (and with bigger pitchers)...but I've never tried it myself

I think either pure lfs or lfs : perlite 50 : 50

That's what I use for all my neps :)

It has been recommended a few times to change that.. but it seems to work well for me.

Yeah LFS seems to not be a preferred substrate for this species. Though its found on some beaches, it generally seems to enjoy airier mixes

Well, I've had it for under a year... It's gone from the one dying leaf to what you see above. If it could grow better than that... It'd surely be the fastest acclimating and growing nep I've had.

Perhaps when I up the pot size.. I'll use something more airy for the surrounding media. I doubt I'm going to take the current media off of the roots though. I'll have to see what it looks like in there before I decide.

I doubt you can get the current media off the roots. Like I said, this species has a huge root system.

It is a faaaast nep. When I made cuttings, they rooted in 3 weeks (roots appeared at 2, but were way tiny).

Andrew, I have all my vikings in LFS and perlite. Standing in 1" of water until the level drops totally before I top it up again. I treat them like N. mirabilis. :)

But being in pure lowland conditions helps, I suppose. The humidity, the heat etc.

Thanks Cindy, my conditions are VERY close to true lowland.. except winter, then I'm just a tad cooler.

Hmm...then you'll just have to wait out. Some of my vikings take a while before pitchering. Oh, I also noticed that pitchering is seasonal because I grow them at my balcony. When the weather is cooler and gloomy, they lose nearly all their pitchers! They are at their best during the hottest months here.

Here's my N. Viking. Believe it or not, it grows in straight highland conditions, down to the low 50s at night. It took a few months, and some encouragement from fertilizing, but once it decided it was home, it really took off. This grows right next to N. macrophylla!

N-123.jpg

Capslock

Amazing plants... I hope all my develop as beatiful as yours with the time.

Congratulations

Hi Andrew,
How about the light ? May I suggest a full day sunlight ?
Nong
1195376425.jpg

re_1195376141.jpg

Back