What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bicalc soil

I know that we all have our own ideas, but I was just reading some stuff online and came across this from a very well respected source regarding Bicalcarata care:

Next, repot your plant in the standard mix of peat moss and perlite (1 part of each). We've found that this species grows best in a peat-based mix. Naturalists who have examined the natural habitat of the bicalcarata also confirms that this species grows in a peat type of soil.

Hmm. Any thoughts?

Yeah, I've been growing a bicalc for several years now and found they like a moister mix rather than a fast draining one.

i grow mine in 1:1:1 LFS, peat, (clean, no fertilizers added, like i had...:() vermiculite

I have mine in a plastic basket with about 80% LFS and 20% orchid bark.

I grow mine in a peaty mix, but I also have LFS and perlite in there to balance things out. It thrives on the tray system in my east-facing windowsill.

This thread actually reminds me that I need to repot it before it gets root-bound. By the way, what kind of lighting conditions do you guys grow your bicals in? Does anyone grow a bical in shade/indirect light?

I grew mine in shade for a while and it was growing way slow. I just moved one of the two I have into brighter light...hopefully it picks up.

I grow mine in peat/perlite/lava rock.

I grew one of my bicals for a several years in the soil mix that was in "The Savage Garden." If I remember right, it's peat:LFS: Perlite:vermiculite in a 1:1:1:1 ratio.

Will

Back