What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep Problem

I currently have my lowlanders in a terrarium in which I was able to successfully keep my N. rafflesiana in last winter with no problem at all. But now this year all of my Neps are starting to have the tips of their leaves brown, and shrivel.
I'll post pics tomorrow

Without any other information it is difficult to say what might be casuing the decline. However, if temperature for your lowlanders is your concern, I would just add a small (or large - depending on your tank size) aquarium water heater to a pool of water in your tank. You can raise your plants on some eggcrate, with the water and heater under the eggcrate. If this is not an option, you can get a water container and a tiny water heater that can you can place next to your plants. I do this for both of my Lowland tanks and it keeps the temperatures at night perfect. I would suggest you get a decent water heater with a temperature control so it turns off automatically. Also, make sure you place it in a sufficient amount of water. How big is your tank, and how much extra space do you have? Water placed underneath the eggcrate is nice, because it elevates your plants closer to the light, and only affects the vertical space.

I have plenty of space, it's a good 80 gallon tank
I keep the humidity around 60-80% and the temp 80-90 in the day and 70-80 at night

welcome back Dave we missed you! ahah!

sounds suspiscious....pics would help out. is the brown parts dry and flakey....or mushy?
Alex

Mnn~
If terminal bud is good, that should be fine.:blush:
you can try to reduce the soil of water.
only keep the soil humid.

Depending on the species, I may disagree with Duckking.

For example, I find that raflessianas like to be wet. I grow mine on the tray method, and try to never let them dry out. They complain when I do. I find that most lowlanders prefer wetter media than most highlanders.

The one exception I can think of, off the top of my head, is truncata - that one doesn't like to be wet too much.

I think it might have been that they were getting too much light. I had them pretty close like with my tropical dews, so I moved them down a bit.

I'm gonna see if that does anything

BTW: Schloaty, my terrarium neps are N. mirabilis, rafflesiana, truncata, X ted payne, and ampullaria x ventricosa. So far only N. rafflesiana, mirabilis and Ampx Vent showed and bad signs

Back