What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What brand of LFS do you use?

I know that most of us use LFS as a major ingredient in nep soil. I'm wondering what brands you all use.

I used Mosser Lee and then picked up some "Better Gro" or something like that New Zealand moss (the blonde moss). Maybe it is just a coincidence, but the newer stuff seems to turn green and get nasty looking in the tank. Anyone else have this problem?

I use some sort of "orchid moss" instead of LFS.

xvart.

Just whatever is at Home Depot or Lowes. I think it says "Orchid Moss" on the bag but it is in fact LFS.

Your moss is turning green because your water is impure or you fertilize or the moss came impregnated with fertilizer. Algae is growing and your moss will start to get mushy and "melt."

I got mosser's lee whcih was horrible. looked like peat. But then found this:

mixmr7.jpg

By vraev at 2007-05-19

used around 3 bags of it so far. well priced at 7$ a bag. My neps are growing pretty well in it. I don't know about algae on it. But I have a layer of growing green live sphagnum that is taking control. But in a small cup where I am growing calcifyda...the moss is full og algae and looks horrible. But..well...I don't really care as I only use this for my neps which always get a layer of live sphagnum to finish up the carpet.

As a potting media....compared to the mossers lee...this is galaxies ahead.

i also use "Orchid Moss" is Chilean LFS.
Alex

I actually like the mosser lee stuff because it's not as perfect. It has twigs, stems, and stuff which make it better draining. If I use the high-quality New Zealand or Chilean kinds, I have to use a lot more chunky stuff so it doesn't just become a big sponge.

Capslock

I used the chilean sphagnum they sell at the big box stores for a while, but got fed up with the
amount of weeds popping up in it and how quickly it decomposed. I broke down and ordered a big bag of new zealand lfs. I like it much better. I am not using it in my new nep mixes now because I fertilize and the moss turns to slime.

Back