Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Nepenthes talangensis x veitchii

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes talangensis x veitchii

I saw this drool-worthy hybrid for sale and it seems (due to talangensis parentage) that it should be small and slow-growing enough for a large terrarium. I've decided not to use my 50 gallon because it is too narrow. I am looking for a 200 + gallon tank/grow chamber now. The only problem is that it is a highland hybrid (the veitchii parent is highland) and my conditions are borderline for highlands.

Summer day temps: 80-90
    Summer night temps: 70-ish

Winter day temps: 70-75
    Winter night temps: mid 60's they used to be in the 50's before my parents fixed the furnace
    This is standard household temp for me(high temp extremes in the 80's + are from built up heat in the tank. I think dorm room conditions at college next year should be similar.

I have grown highland x lowland and highland hybrids(involving a bomb-proof species like tobaica or ventricosa), but I don't know if I can grow this hybrid because both parents are difficult. A couple years ago I lost a N. veitchii highland in the summer and there is no way I would ever try to grow N. talangenis. Hybrid vigor might make this plant grow-able for me. Does anyone have experience with this plant? Is it an all around strong grower? I will be growing my plants in a terrerium in a dorm room next year(still don't know what college yet), so I may have to get a smaller tank. In that case, highland "summer slow-down" might not be so bad!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be fine. 70s isn't too bad in the short term if your humidity is low. If you have high humidity, the plant should do well for you.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crap.
    I saw the thermostat settings and the minimum night temp (even in the winter) is 70f. I think I will have to use the patented "2liter bottle of frozen water" trick while the plant is still small. I talked to the guy selling them, apparently the plants in stock are tiny and aren't exactly speed demons (both parents are notoriously slow). I have a 50 gallon tank that I think I could use exclusively for this nepenthes so that I can experiment with cheap/crude methods of cooling. I am definitely getting this plant. I saw a pic and it is just

It has a little bit of lowland blood in it (talangensis x (highland veitchii x lowland veithcii), so even if it does not thrive in my conditions, It should do ok until I find a nice cool place for it.