User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes jacquelineae - Ease of care?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your friend was probably keeping his mikeis too wet. I've grown highlanders in heat (with low humidity mind you), and you can always tell when they're about to go. If I see a smaller leaf or three, I tned to ignore them while the plant settles in. My mikei has been making smaller and smaller leaves for about 4 months now. I've never heard of a plant just kicking the bucket that quickly because of heat
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My jaque didn't apprceciate the summer heat - it's starting to grow well again now with the cooler season.

I also have an increased humidity because the GH is sealed (again, due to colder temps), so to be honest, I don't know if it was the temp change, humidity increase, or both that have contributed to the growth resurgence.

At any rate, it has proven somewhat durable - i.e. it didn't die, but it's not very fast for me.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    your friend was probably keeping his mikeis too wet. I've grown highlanders in heat (with low humidity mind you), and you can always tell when they're about to go. If I see a smaller leaf or three, I tned to ignore them while the plant settles in. My mikei has been making smaller and smaller leaves for about 4 months now. I've never heard of a plant just kicking the bucket that quickly because of heat
    Thats exactly what happened to his. Check ICPS... rhiller posted pics of his mikei in the nep section.thats whom I am talking about. He has the same thing....smaller and smaller leaves ..basically continous decline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Continuous decline I can see (hell its happening to mine). But apparently theres a misconception that a plant will just up and die out of nowhere because of heat. This is simply not the case (at least with 99% of neps). It takes a loooong time for heat to kill a plant.
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Continuous decline I can see (hell its happening to mine). But apparently theres a misconception that a plant will just up and die out of nowhere because of heat. This is simply not the case (at least with 99% of neps). It takes a loooong time for heat to kill a plant.
    I contest this. I lost several pickier (hamata, aristolochioides, stuff like that - ouch ) highlanders two summers ago durring a heat wave. The intermediates suffered, and the lowlanders were fine.

six weeks of days ~95 and nights ~75 - 80 were just too much.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (at least with 99% of neps).
    I had hamata in mind when I wrote that. There are always exceptions with nepenthes culture, but in the overwhelming majority of cases, plants won't just die out of nowhere without showing any signs.
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring life! neon-eon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, if you want something with a similar pitcher form as the Jaque, but you want something a little less spendy, you could try the eymae... mine is young, but the pitchers look like wine goblets when they get older...kind of like a Jaque without the wide peristome...
    -No matter what you do with your life, I still care about you. -Mr P.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but eyame's lower pitchers aren't those shape. Same with dubia as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast