What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes jacquelineae - Ease of care?

Hey Guys,

I've been looking at these on the net for a while, and I'm under the impression from the description that they aren't all that difficult. I was thinking about having my parents get me the plant as a Christmas present, but before I have them go and spend $70:)0o:) on it, I need to know how hardy it is, and I'd like to get opinions from those growing the plant here on the boards. Until spring(or the nights are warm enough for it to be in the GH), it would be on a really bright windowsill. Temps range 72/73Fish during the day, a little cooler at night(this can be adjusted).

Anyways, I get the feeling I've made a fairly incoherent post, but you get the picture. Is this thing like a rajah where its got very specific requirements, or is it more just a really expensive plant due to high demand?

Thanks!
Andrew

Anyways, I get the feeling I've made a fairly incoherent post, but you get the picture. Is this thing like a rajah where its got very specific requirements, or is it more just a really expensive plant due to high demand?
second one mainly....

ill keep an eye on this post as i am also looking to get one.
Alex

I have found Jacquelineae to be my fastest growing nep. I don't even give it a nighttime temp drop, and it's thriving.

what conditions do you grow it in? sounds promising for me :)
Alex

yeah! jacq is currently on my most wanted list aside aristolocioides.

me too. Nepsaroundthehouse grows jacq with success in southern california, if that helps. It should like temp drops at night, but I guess it's not entirely necessary according to jeff.

But jeff....how long have u had it? I remember that many regular highlanders seem to do fine without any nighttime drop for a while....sometimes for many months but then suddenly go downhill. The recent case is a friend whose mikei was giving bad issues. He already lost a mikei before the same way. They both seemed to grow well for many months but then suddenly hit the bucket.

Alex: At room temp in a 150 gal aquarium.

Vraev: I've had it for over a year.

your friend was probably keeping his mikeis too wet. I've grown highlanders in heat (with low humidity mind you), and you can always tell when they're about to go. If I see a smaller leaf or three, I tned to ignore them while the plant settles in. My mikei has been making smaller and smaller leaves for about 4 months now. I've never heard of a plant just kicking the bucket that quickly because of heat

My jaque didn't apprceciate the summer heat - it's starting to grow well again now with the cooler season.

I also have an increased humidity because the GH is sealed (again, due to colder temps), so to be honest, I don't know if it was the temp change, humidity increase, or both that have contributed to the growth resurgence.

At any rate, it has proven somewhat durable - i.e. it didn't die, but it's not very fast for me.

your friend was probably keeping his mikeis too wet. I've grown highlanders in heat (with low humidity mind you), and you can always tell when they're about to go. If I see a smaller leaf or three, I tned to ignore them while the plant settles in. My mikei has been making smaller and smaller leaves for about 4 months now. I've never heard of a plant just kicking the bucket that quickly because of heat

Thats exactly what happened to his. Check ICPS... rhiller posted pics of his mikei in the nep section.thats whom I am talking about. He has the same thing....smaller and smaller leaves ..basically continous decline.

Continuous decline I can see (hell its happening to mine). But apparently theres a misconception that a plant will just up and die out of nowhere because of heat. This is simply not the case (at least with 99% of neps). It takes a loooong time for heat to kill a plant.

Continuous decline I can see (hell its happening to mine). But apparently theres a misconception that a plant will just up and die out of nowhere because of heat. This is simply not the case (at least with 99% of neps). It takes a loooong time for heat to kill a plant.

I contest this. I lost several pickier (hamata, aristolochioides, stuff like that - ouch ) highlanders two summers ago durring a heat wave. The intermediates suffered, and the lowlanders were fine.

six weeks of days ~95 and nights ~75 - 80 were just too much.

(at least with 99% of neps).
I had hamata in mind when I wrote that. There are always exceptions with nepenthes culture, but in the overwhelming majority of cases, plants won't just die out of nowhere without showing any signs.

Also, if you want something with a similar pitcher form as the Jaque, but you want something a little less spendy, you could try the eymae... mine is young, but the pitchers look like wine goblets when they get older...kind of like a Jaque without the wide peristome...

but eyame's lower pitchers aren't those shape. :( Same with dubia as well. ;)

Ah, I suppose you're right...I though there was one other with that form as well, but my mnd is drawing a blank...I would say that if you're going to get it, then you might want to build a mini terrerium for it first...I personally wouldn't try my luck on a windowsill...
-Gabe

I think jacquelinae needs humidity high. My friend says his is in shock cause of humidity problems and he might lose it.

I personally wouldn't try my luck on a windowsill...
IIIII WOULD!!!!!!
But that's just me.
There are a few species with that same form. Jamban has the same form, but with a thinner peristome, kinda like an eymae in permanent uppers. Tenuis and flava also do, and flava has the interesting characteristics of jacq lowers and jamban uppers.
B.T: If a plant stops growing for a bit because of low humidity, it usually adapts and starts growing again eventually. If the leaves start to get all droopy and crispy from low humidity.... that's when it's gonna kick the bucket. So it depends on what kind of "shock" you're talking about.

Wow, thanks for all of the replies everyone!:hail:

I think I still might give it a shot, unless i decide not to spend so much.

Anyways, thanks again!:hail:

Back