Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish emulsion question

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you dilute the fish emulsion 4x the recommended dose it doesnt smell so bad...

If I do that, I'd just have to fertilize twice as much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not if it doesnt smell as bad through the course of the week? :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a big nep. all you have to do is put the needed amount thourout the pitchers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sigh.... well I had a nice two liter bottle that was fine... now it's all gross. Well, more gross than it was before I should say Some sort of slime in there. Smells worse than before, I think. Is it OK to use or should I make it in quantities for a half cup at a time from now on?

Part of me says make it fresh.... another part of me says how bad can it be? It would have done the same thing in a Nepenthes pitcher anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG, I am pretty sure he is right!
    Just kidding, PK.
    I grow everything I have in tanks, and I am sure I do not have anything as large as your area, but there is no way I would even think of doing fish emulsion. It would blow me out of my shoes, lol.
    Actually I would not ferilize at all at this time as I actually water from below(like the tray method) by just pouring water in the tanks. Been doing this for five years with no problem, but usually the bottom is dry in a week.
    Anyways, back on course, using that watering method, I am sure I would jhave a serious algae problem.

Cheers,

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    The sediment shouldn't really matter. What's going to matter more is the fact that your plant area is going to stink like hell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update in case anyone else is ever in my situation and never got a real answer lol. I've been using it and it's caused no problems at all, but I die a little inside every time I open the bottle.

The odor goes away after a day, I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must vary by brand or something. I use the neptune's brand, and there is no noticeable smell from use.

On a related note, do you think a seaweed/fish emulsion blend would work for orchids also? I'm out of orchid fert, and was thinking of just using this stuff on my orchids instead. I'm not sure if the NPK is high enough, but this organic brand has nearly negligible amounts of salts in it. Maybe I'll just try it on one plant and see how it goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weekly weakly for Orchids is my motto. I imagine it would be fine. If it's like the Alaskan brand I use, and there's a lot of sediment, it may "gum up" the media.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast