What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nep cuttings.

Ant

Your one and only pest!
I just was wondering how nep cuttings go about. If I remeber right you can cut an entire basal sprout of with roots or just roots.

You can take a basal cutting with no roots. There are different opinions as to how many leaves the basal growth should have before you make a cut. I tend to take a basal cutting after the basal growth has made at least three leaves.

what about an old one? I have a stem the is nearly dead with a patch of life at the end, also does it need to be the whole stem or just the top?

I read in the Savage Garden that some varieties of Nepenthes can roots themselves in just water. Which varieties are those? It is not listed in the Savage Garden.

I root only the green portion of stem with leaves. Has anyone tried or have any luck with rooting the brown portion of stem?

i did...but it took nearly twice as long for that cutting to root than it did for another cutting at the same time of the same hybrid. it hasnt worked for me ever again though..
Alex

I've tried it before when possible and had an atrocious success rate. With "normal" cuttings, I've lost 1 ever. With the stem part, a whole 0 have struck.

Ok, I am trying it with ventricosa and placed in in the smae pot as my mother plant. Will that make a difference?

I am currently attempting a ventrata cutting in a vase of water. I "notched" the bottom of the stem. It has been about a month I don't see any roots, but the leaves are still green and new nodes are slowly be produced. It takes time...

Just as a general question, how long take on average to see the roots apear on the cuttings?

First, checking for root growth means digging the cutting up, which I do not recommend. If it still has any green, it still has potential. I've had cuttings start leaf growth anywhere from a few weeks to 6 months after planting a cutting, the latter being an extreme example involving an N. albomarginata cutting put in highland conditions.

Capslock

Back