Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ideas for bicalcarata setup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ideas for bicalcarata setup

I have got a bical. on reserve for spring and before I get the bicalcarata I want to get ready for it. So I was thinking a tank with a desk fan or something smaller with a casing to prectect the plant if it grows to large. I know that bical. don't like full light so would a normal fishtank lighting work? I was wondering if misting daily is the only option or is there more ways to keep them watered. Any help would be great!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're going to need a real chamber at least 6 by 6 feet wide for long term. It'll outgrow even the largest of terrariums in no time.

Other wise you can grow it for about a year, then trade it out for a small plant and grow that for a year and repeat that over and over. When I think of N. bicalcarata, the first word that comes to mind is "sauna." It's the epitome of a lowlander and that alone will tell you it's requirements, other than space. Hot and steamy. Everyone's definition of "normal fish tank lighting" is different. If you mean those 18 inch fluorescent tubes that come with those cheap plastic hoods, then no. Get a 4 lamp, 4 foot shop light minimum for it. You can grow other plants under that, too, until it gets monstrous and you have to build a chamber or get rid of it. Over pot since they have extensive root systems and don't like disturbance anyway, and you can put it in a shallow tray of water if you want.

Our member vraev grows his under cooler conditions, but I don't recommend that. If he cranked up the heat I bet he'd notice a vast increase in growth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, I know and I hope I can get some place to keep it. The one I am getting is about a 4" clone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh much wattage should should I get for my set up? Also how many watts per light should I get?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I have a spot, just need to get demesions (after I clean 6 years of tossed junk away and then wash the floor). I think what I need is a space heater, a fan, a few 40 watt florecent bulbs, PVC pipe for a frame and a couple of shower cutains. Am I missing anything?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a space heater at walmart thats $25 that has a "fan only" setting.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7768650

If you want, wait about a week or so. I should have my new chamber up and running, and I should also have a real camera by then, so I'm more than likely going to do a step by step of the build w/ pics.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, but know my dad is trying to stop me after he saw the place was usuable agian to just use the selfs in there. My mom who said I could do what I wanted never told him either!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhh...mines really getting pretty crowded in a 55gal. You should go with JLAP's advice.