Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Little Tiny Bugs

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little Tiny Bugs

Hi guys. I'm pretty new to this whole thing, only been at if for a few months. Anyways, I have an N. x velvet, that seems to be doing pretty well, but today I noticed some tiny little bugs running around on top of the soil. They resemble beatles a little bit, but are super tiny, and are a little shiny (might just be wings of some sort.) I would love to get a picture, but they are too small and fast to even dream about capturing on film.

Here is an extra little tidbit. I have also noticed that the base of the plant is starting to darken. You can see it in the pictures below. Somebody on another forum mentioned that the plant is young, and might be prepping to vine and beginning to grow a 'woodier base.'

click the thumbnails for much larger picture

Little Tiny Bugs

Little Tiny Bugs

So here are the questions...

1) How likely is it that the bugs are problematic, and not just living in the strata?

2) Do you think the bugs could be causing the base to darken?

3) Is the plant just growing a woodier base and preparing to vine?

The dark area is definitely not a fungus of any sort, but is slowly moving up the plant. Leaf growth does not seem to be hampered at all, but I haven't seen any pitcher development in the past month or so. Temps are consistent 70 degrees. I have a humidifier running right now, (for my nose, not the plants, but they enjoy it for sure.) Humidity is usually between 50% and 60%. It gets window light, plus 2 75 watt equiv. CFLs. I water it every 2-3 days, just enough for the water to come out the bottom of the pot and to keep the soil moist but not soaking. It is not sitting in a tray of water. Thanks for your help! sorry about the length of the post

EDIT: Here's its only pitcher right now. Just thought I'd throw it in for fun

Little Tiny Bugs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i get the little beetles too....round...like a period? dunno what they do or if the are harmful....

just by looking at it....i cant reall tell if is wooding...or if its root rot. that looks like the uh... "northwest mix" id repot soon out of it as it quickly compacts from my experience. while your at it check the roots to determine if its root rot. if it is... youll be in for some serious trouble.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bugs are longer then they are round. I have also heard that root rot damage begins to show at the top of the plant, and works its way down, but that's only what somebody else has told me. The dark area seems to be getting a little tougher and has a reddish brown color, so it seems to me that it would be wooding, but I have no experience whatsoever here.

And yes, if I pick up on your hint, or dislike, it would indeed be northwest mix if that refers to a certain retailer. I have had the plant for 3 months now, and it hasn't seemed to compact down at all. I'm sure I can find it on here somewhere, but what do you suggest as a good nep mix? Can you use 50/50 sphagnum perlite? or do you need some kind of bark in there as well?
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    by sphagnum do you mean peat? or actuall LFS? peat isnt the best thing to use for neps.... it also compacts really easily. LFS and perilite is a great mix...one of the best

longer? ah then they are springtails harmless.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They may be spring tails. I had them in one pot, and they spread fast. They shouldn't hurt anything. Are they whiteish-translucent?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They resemble beatles
    lol

Anyway...springtails aren't beetles (or probably even insects for that matter). If thats what they are, they shouldn't be a problem. IIRC they only eat detritus and create soil in the process. Maybe try to kill one and take a pic? Sometimes, I'm pretty good with inverts :P

peat isnt the best thing to use for neps
    It's good for lowlanders

LFS and perilite
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all... I have no idea how I managed to do this, but I thought I'd attempt to try and take a picture somehow. While pushing around dirt to find a bug, one started crawling on the lip of the pot, and I just snapped a picture. He must have wanted his photo taken. And it was in focus, which almost never happens. If you don't see it, just look for the obnoxious yellow arrows... On a side note... I love The Beatles, and often forget that the insects as such are spelled Beetles. Oh well. Heres the photo. Click the thumb

Little Tiny Bugs

And they don't jump, so I don't think they can be springtails.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PK: haha at least we agree on a few things. like the seed grown thing im out of perilite. so i do use bark.

as for the bugs....no clue. never seen one before.
    Alex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast