What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chronically deformed N. ramispina

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Hey guys. I received a small N. ramispina some time ago, and every single pitcher that it's produced has been deformed. While they are increasing in size (and so are the leaves) the top of the pitcher, just under the lid in between the peristome, always "pinches" inward so that it's convex (while the other side is concave.) Why is this? I have high humidity (like.. 80 lows, 95 highs), great light (the whole plant is a solid maroon.) Good air movement. RO water. During the summer, the high is 80 (but most of the day is mid 70's) and nights at 70. Right now, the high is about 78 and lows of 60 (will get lower in winter.) It's planted in pure LFS. It never showed any setback from being shipped to me.

Every single pitcher does this. Doesn't make any sense. All of my other plants are fine.

DSC03042.jpg

DSC03040.jpg

DSC03039.jpg

Maybe it is a mutation and is just genetic. It looks good anyway.

Well, thank you for your compliment but I don't want a mutant. Space is too valuable. If this isn't environmental, I'm going to have to trade it away.

Maybe the person I got it from will chime in and tell me if it did the same under his conditions.

i can barely tell a difference!!!

before you get rid of it, grow it out a bit more to make sure it doesnt grow out of it...

Is it an easy plant cause I would take it.:-O

What!?!

Ummm look it up. Some people might get touchy, even though it was 3k years ago in a completely different society.

You mean people might get mad the plant if it is a mutant? If it is one I would love to have it. I don't care if people think it should be die.

I'm assuming that was mine? lol. I never noticed that when it was under my care. The pitchers appear to be much bigger than when I had it so maybe I didn't notice because they were smaller. Not sure what to tell you. Want a refund? lol.

It was the first N. ramispina that I've ever had so I can't say if it's something it would grow out of it...

xvart.

Yes ant. People will get mad at the plant. :headwall:

It did come from you and no I don't want a refund lol. I noticed a picture of a pitcher in my search (I think it was Max's) that had the same "dent" in it, but it was just one pitcher and not on all of them.

All of my N. ramispina pitchers have the same dent in the back like yours....

hey, if you don't want a dented one, i'll take it, i'll fight ant for it, haha

Why don't you like it? I mean the dent and wavy wings make it look great!

doesnt look like its hurting the plant
and it looks healthy.
i dont see why the dent is such a problem.

wow! You crazy..... a nice red leaved ramispina with perfect pitchers and u r pissed? lol!

i think what hes trying to get across is that its a mutant...and mutants should be thrown out? correct? i used t have a metant ventrata. you might want to PM Max to see how long his lasted. mayby is a young plant thing and itll grow out of it?
Alex

I'm not saying they should be thrown out or killed, but I certainly don't want it taking up space when I could have a normal N. ramispina in it's spot. If you had a car with a dent in the hood, but other than that it worked and looked fine, you still wouldn't want that dent there when you could have a hood without a dent. I view it like that.

why would you view a plant as an automobile?
its probably just a mutation from the peristome curling in, i dont know. but it doesnt harm the plant and i think it gives the plant character.
why not have an odd plant out of the bunch?
we have odd people in a group of normals eh?
its unique.

But what if that monstrosity was allowed to breed? Think of the consequences. (literally...think about them...from a biological/conservation perspective)

Back