What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

winter

CP_dude

future nursury owner...i hope
I'm pretty sure it's normal, but since i'm very protective of my plants, i thought i would post this.

i noticed on all of my Nepenthes, they have either produced pitchers that are getting smaller and smaller with shortend life or the pitcher bud will just hang there and will not inflate at all. Also the leaves seem to be getting smaller. I'm about 85% sure it's just because of winter with cooler temps and lower light levers, but i just want to double check :) Thanks!

yes. lower light levels would be the reason. i use fluorescents though so i dotn have this problem :)
Alex

i use them too, but i shorten the amount of time i give it to them to try and simutale the seasons... do i really need to do that though?

How do you light a really large nep though? High powered lights? I take it the regular shop lights won't cut it.

They grow just fine like this!

IMG_0007-1.jpg

Seriously, just provide artificial lighting, `12 hours of light per day and keep the temps around 80.

im having a hard time keeping it warm

Im strugling just to keep temps around 15-20 C

neps are tropical, near equator growing plants. seasons dont exist in nep habitat! ;)

neps are tropical, near equator growing plants. seasons dont exist in nep habitat!
So then I really didn't have to drop the time i give them light? ( i had them on 16 hrs a day and dropped them down to 12 hrs a day

Nope. You don't need to. I'm going to supplement with a MH this winter hopefully.

...wow, i screwed up...lol

You could say that. haha Like stated before, its not really the intensity of the light its how much you get. Here in northern New York, its really nasty in the winter and most of the Nepenthes go in snail mode for 3-4 months until we get past February and March.

same here in maine, most of my neps have slowed and stopped pitchuring.
most of my neps are under lights and they have still slowed. maybe I should change to a longer lighting period.

that's good to know...
lol, the nep that is killing off its buds is my N. Hamata, that's y i got so worried...
thanks for the reassurance :)

Back